General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeeky Pulley..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys/Girls, to be fair, the squeek has come back. Unfortunately the squeek has come back. The good news, is that I now know the source of the squeek and I can temporarily fix it by doing what I wrote down here. Hopefully for any one else, the fix will last alot longer. I went ahead and purchased another alternator. It just wouldnt be timeworthy to pull it off every other week to fix.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Angry

I don't mean to but I hear ya. I have the same problem.

I still have squeeks. I replaced the
WaterPump
Tensioner ( sp ) and the Tensioner pully ( from GM )
2 AutoZone Reman alts, 1 Boss Alt ( currently on car )
Idler pulley.
Both Belts ( CarQuest, and the A/c belt is not on the car right now )

I don't understand wtf is wrong. Ima try that WD40 idea tomorrow morning. If the belt is the problem I'm ordering a Gator. I'm almost to the point of saying screw it and let a shop handle the problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Same issue

Lubed belts - no change
Replaced Idler - Metal one by the PS and both belts
While off spun all pulleys by hand, noticed the tensioner pulley was rough
Tried the belts and tensioner ....nope
Bought the tensioner idler...old one was going but not the squeek problem
Nope ....chirp chirp...damn
Tried wd40 - no luck
Tried Belt dressing spray.....down on the alt pulley area, whoa gone!!!!!!!!

Took her for a spin.......nope only gone at idle, but real loud now almost like scraping metal.

Pulled the belt again and ran w/o ac belt.....same

Pu tit back on and same noise...tried wd 40 this time and much better, drove around and it seamed to be almost cured. Stopped and did some shopping for about an hour. Come back and it's baaaack.

Conclusions........

Just can't spin stuff by hand to make the noise.

Tried the 2' scewdriver, stethoscope, but the noise tends to shift around. It really sounded like the metal idler at first. A scewdriver on the alt, makes mechanical sounds but not this noise.

Stumped

A friend said there was a TSB on this somewhere. Anyone got acess to those?.

Short of that, all I can think of is how the metal pulley is not exactly flat, it kinda ramps up on the engine side. Also noticed the bearing was not pressed quite flat and the pulley part would woble a bit when turned by hand. When running you cannot tell though.

The tensioner appeared good enough, and seams to actually sway a tad towards getting tighter when you rev the motor.

I guess I will try the alt lbe idea, but the post with numerous alt replacements,water pump etc, has me a bit

Didn't mean to write book, but with enough clues, someone out there may just figure it out.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm actully out to try that WD-40 right now. If someone can find a legit TSB ( I'm assuming that means Service Builten which = free service ) that would be awesome. $5 from paypal from me if you can find it. Anyways, I'm off to work. I'll update on the WD-40 later.

The only two things that I haven't touched are the Crank Pulley and the PowerSteering Pump. I wonder if the Crank Pulley needs t6 be taken off and tightened down again???

Update: WD-40 quelled the squeeking. So it just appears to be a shitty CarQuest belt. I'm going to order a Gator. Hopefully this solves the problem. $5 for TSB is still good though.

Last edited by sp00rkz; 01-02-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Teching In

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15020

try this post, shows the TSB info. Found it after many google searches.

Lists a double row idler 12563326 about $40
generator brkt 125633327 about $17
belt 12562626 about $29

Maybe the aftermarket idlers are too generic for us and this is the first I have heard about a bracket.

I won't be able to try it till the weekend, plan to order the parts today myself.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a great thread. I just ordered the parts myself. Hopefully, that will fix my problem as well.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Just put the other alternator on finally. Noise is completely gone. I really hated to replace the exhisting alt., cause my current one worked just fine. I just got tired of the god forsaken squeek. Anywho, hope you guys have good luck.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

LS1Formula98 - Just keep an eye on it. I replaced 3. It might come back.

z06machine - You sir are the bomb. Where do you want me to send the $5 to?

This thread needs to be a sticky.

Btw, the WD-40 idea made it quiet for about 5 seconds the it screamed like a 4yr old child who just got smacked. I also tried Brakecleaner. No go either.

Last edited by sp00rkz; 01-02-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I'm going to repost the TSB information. It's always nice to have it over here.

Accessory Drive Belt - Squeak/Chirp Noise

BULLETIN NUMBER: 00-06-01-008

SECTION: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE: March 2000

SUBJECT: Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION: Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE: The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION: To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, install the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.

Important: The new generator bracket can be identified by the depth of the idler pulley mounting pilot. The pilot dimension (2) on the new generator bracket is 10 mm. Dimension (2) on the previous bracket was 8.3 mm.

Part#
12563326 - Double Row Idler Pulley Assy
12563327 - Generator Bracket
12562626 - Serpentine Belt

I'm not sure if it is free or not. That doesn't mean that I won't try. If it is not, here are some prices.
Here's some prices -

Desc / Part# / Dealer / ALL GM Parts (on-line)

Double Idler pulley / 12563326 / 41.26 / 30.81
Alternator Bracket / 12563327 / 16.18 / 12.08
Serpentine Belt / 12562626 / 31.25 / 20.48

S & H - ALL GM Parts - 9.95

TOTAL / Dealer - 88.69 + tax / ALL GM - 73.32
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stormsracing
i pulled mine off and done what ls1formula98 said to do and it worked thanks for the good advice. no more squeeking alternator
NICE!!! i have the same annoying as bird with little soft *** chirps under my hood. and i couldnt for the life of me figure out where it was coming from on my 98 T/A. thanks guys... i'm gonna do this as soon as i get a chance.

EDIT: guess i shoulda read the whole thread lol. i dont wanna buy a new altenator oh well.

Last edited by sdavis2702; 01-02-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Mr SpOORkz, no payment necessary. Lets just hope this is the holy grail for all of us that have been fighting this one.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Sdavis.....read it one more time. You don't need a new alternator....It's just the Alternator bracket $15-$20. I'm thinking you will have to remove the alt or at least move it around to replace the bracket.

May be a good time to spin it and check the pulley while your are there. I was thinking of taking mine to Autozone and just let the guys spin it on the test machine. This should get it up to a decent speed. If it does not squeek on the machine it shouldn't squeek on the car.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zo6machine
Sdavis.....read it one more time. You don't need a new alternator....It's just the Alternator bracket $15-$20. I'm thinking you will have to remove the alt or at least move it around to replace the bracket.

May be a good time to spin it and check the pulley while your are there. I was thinking of taking mine to Autozone and just let the guys spin it on the test machine. This should get it up to a decent speed. If it does not squeek on the machine it shouldn't squeek on the car.
oh damn okay i misread. thanks man. that takes a load off my shoulders.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zo6machine
Mr SpOORkz, no payment necessary. Lets just hope this is the holy grail for all of us that have been fighting this one.

Well, I'll find out tomorrow if the parts come in. The stealership wanted no part in doing anything for free. So I just went and ordered the parts minus the serp belt ( I have a new one already ). It should be here tomorrow around noon. If it is, I will let you guys know if it works.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Hope it works. mine are on the way too. But may not make it for the weekend. I am in so cal and I guess they ship from the east coast.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Launching!

I got my parts today. they delivered them to work and I threw the car up on the lift. So far, I have had no squeeks. But the real test comes tomorrow morning when I start it up cold. everyone cross your fingers.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Update. Works like a charm. This thread is the Holy grail for all squeeking problems.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

just an FYI to help with the noise on that alternator: You just need to remove any oxidation from the contacts. Something simple like 1500 grit sandpaper, just spin the shaft with the paper against it (this way the marks run parallel with the movement), that will take care of the squeak for a long time. I have done this on one alternator and it was a permanent fix.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
just an FYI to help with the noise on that alternator: You just need to remove any oxidation from the contacts. Something simple like 1500 grit sandpaper, just spin the shaft with the paper against it (this way the marks run parallel with the movement), that will take care of the squeak for a long time. I have done this on one alternator and it was a permanent fix.

Ahh, nice solution. I didnt think of doing that when I took my alternator off before. I just greased the shaft instead and of course the noise came back. Hrmm, too bad this wasnt posted before, but thanks for the future reference for all others who may encounter the same problem. By the way, my new/used alternator I put on a couple of weeks ago is working like a champ. Shoot, I may just try the old sandpaper trick on my old alternator and keep it around as a backup or whatever. It worked just fine other than the annoying noise.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you guys help a Vette guy out too? My alternator bracket is different and not affected by this TSB. I have Gatorback belts on, and replaced my tensioner pulley and the idler pulley by the PS pump. I removed my AC belt so I know its nothing there, but the damn things still squeals and its driving me INSANE! It only does it when the engine warms up though? Its perfectly quiet when its cold.

Quick Reply: Squeeky Pulley..