General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

steering problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problem???

I posted in the wrong thread... here it is... When I have the wheel straight and slighty turn it to the right, it clicks a half inch or so then goes back to normal steering. Checked the fluid which was kinda low but I filled it and its still doing it. Any suggestions on what to check or what its doing? It hasnt gotten worse or isnt affecting anything other than the click its making, just making sure its not going to fall apart on me. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Mine does the same thing but in both directions, just started a month ago. I took to GM and they said nothing is wrong, I know something is wrong b/c it did not do it 2 months ago. If someone knew that would help me also.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing if you had headers and removed the shaft. Make sure you have the bolt holding the slip joint tight. Mine was a little loose and would do what you are describing. I thought the bolt was tight, but it didn't compress the slip joint enough. I cranked the bolt down alot tighter and it went away. My steering felt a little loose as well, untill I tightened it more.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

You know where that is located? Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to that. anywhere I can see a diagram or can you explain? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look down inbetween the fender and motor on the drivers side. You'll see your steering shaft coming out of the firewall below the brake booster. Follow it down and make sure that the bolt is there, and or tight. It has I believe a 10mm head, although it may be a 13mm. I know it's one of the two. I just dont remember which one. This might not be your problem. Just trying to help isolate the issue that was similiar to mine.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

ok, will check that tomorrow... i had a cam put in not to long ago, and i first noticed the problem after doing donuts. The car made a grinding noise when i cornered hard. I checked the fluid and it was low so I filled it up and everything was fine except that cicking in the steering wheel. Hopefully it is a bolt and not a leak which messed something up when i did the cam swap.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

May have to replace the steering shaft. Could also be the rack...shaft usually goes first though. Don't rest your arm on top of the steering wheel and it will last longer...