General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Guide or Rail.. Rivet pulled out.. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Guide or Rail.. Rivet pulled out.. Suggestions

Hey guys there's a vertical rail towards the rear of the door that acts as a guide for our windows rolling up and down.. it has a little plastic roller with a pivoting tail that connects to a piece of metal that is bolted through the glass. Basically that piece of metal that is bolted to the glass final wore out and the pivoting piece pulled out of it and now my window is not connected to that track anymore.

I tried to JB weld it.. that didn't work. I was sort of tried to torch weld it but does anyone know what kind of metal these two parts are... if I cant find the right filler it's not going to bond I guess..

The only other thing I can think of it to just drill a hole in the pivoting piece and screw it together but that's sort of my last resort..

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Here's a picture of the piece that's actually on the window that broke.. this is not a picture of my car (maybe this is a camaro) but it looks like a similar problem.... basically my piece broke the same way as this picture.

The rail/guide on the far right of this picture is what connects to the broken part above... this would be at the REAR of the window..

Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

wow... and i was looking foward to doing my window motors
Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

the window motors are easy.. i would definately say buy the siemens one from autozone... i bought one from directauto on ebay (20880 feedback)... 23.25 shipped and lifetime warranty BUT it's a lot slower than the one I bought from autozone.. I put them in at the same time.

...and now back to ... "how do i get this back together?" I'm not a welder.. all I have is a propane torch..
Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

thoes are the ones im planning on getting.

Originally Posted by savethelinoleum
the window motors are easy.. i would definately say buy the siemens one from autozone... i bought one from directauto on ebay (20880 feedback)... 23.25 shipped and lifetime warranty BUT it's a lot slower than the one I bought from autozone.. I put them in at the same time.

...and now back to ... "how do i get this back together?" I'm not a welder.. all I have is a propane torch..