General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

hey guys a buddy of mine has a 2000 grand am gt with a v6 and he is having overheating problems. he has already replaced the pump and thermostate and is getting the system flushed this week. but he said he can go about a mile and fluid starts coming out of the overflow tube. any ideas?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

a friend of mine is having nearly the same issue for about a year. He can't figure it out. He replaced the pump, thermostat, hoses, radiator cap, and head gasket. Sometimes it will run hot and loose coolant, and other times it will run totally fine. I thought maybe he had air in the hoses or something but his car has a "self bleeding" system. My next guess is that there is something gooped up in the system somewhere causing restricted water flow. Since the head gasket was blown on his, there's a good chance that there is some gasket chunks flying around his cooling system. A good flush should clear it out. He claims he's drained it a few times but I think a really good thorough flush would be better. Fill it up ten or 15 times with water, run the engine for a minute, drain, refill and repeat.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Launching!

so yours buddys headgasket was blown?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

yep. but when his head gasket blew out, it would overheat very quickly. It stuttered like crazy and all kinds of smoke was coming out of the exhaust. You didn't mention any smoke and you said that the coolant was coming out of the overflow. That tells me that there is some blockage that causes a pressure buildup in the reservior and pushing it out of the overflow tube.
After the gasket change he mentioned that his coolant was VERY goopy. He thinks that its from head gasket fragments mixing into a goopy substance. Sounds like a pretty good guess to me. He doesn't have any oil in it though. If your buddy's dexcool is eating at his head gasket, it could be a similar issue. There is a lot of speculation that dexcool ruins head gaskets. But on the other hand, GM's original head gasket for that car is not a good design. There is not enough gasket material between the ports. There are people that argue both sides.
Here's a good thread here:

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...light=overflow
Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Launching!

thanks bunches. that should help my friend out alot.