General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Oil Pressure Need Help Fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Oil Pressure Need Help Fast

Hey guys, this morning i went to start my car and it had no oil pressure. I was driving it around last night and it was fine, the only thing i heard was when i first started her up she made a whinning noise for a little bit but then went away. Is there a way i can check the oil pressure or see if its getting any oil. Im hoping its the pressure gauge switch and not the pump. Thanx for any input.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BadBlueSS
Hey guys, this morning i went to start my car and it had no oil pressure. I was driving it around last night and it was fine, the only thing i heard was when i first started her up she made a whinning noise for a little bit but then went away. Is there a way i can check the oil pressure or see if its getting any oil. Im hoping its the pressure gauge switch and not the pump. Thanx for any input.
I would not run the motor at all right now. It could be the oil pressure sending unit/sensor, so I would possibly swap that or then goto a auto parts store and pick up a aftermarket gauge and hook it up temporarily to see if you are in fact getting pressure.

You can remove a valve cover to check if you are getting oil pressure, but thats not exactly clean nor fast.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I just finished taking off the intake manifold and got the sensor out. I pulled the fuel pump and ignition realys and cranked the motor and dont see any oil coming out of the hole where the sensor screws in. would oil come out of that hole? Im praying its just the oil switch and not the oil pump because right now this is my only car.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BadBlueSS
I just finished taking off the intake manifold and got the sensor out. I pulled the fuel pump and ignition realys and cranked the motor and dont see any oil coming out of the hole where the sensor screws in. would oil come out of that hole? Im praying its just the oil switch and not the oil pump because right now this is my only car.
Yes, oil should come out of that hole. Sounds like the oil pump took a dump. How many miles do you have on it and what year is it?