General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

steering wheel has some slack how can i tighten it up??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default steering wheel has some slack how can i tighten it up??

Ok i doubt that the title specified much so here it is... well while im driving my car maybe 55mph, i can turn the wheel just a lil bit and the car will not react. like i can move my hands back and forth maybe 30 degrees both ways and the car will not react how can i get this slack out of it?? oh and i did take the steering linkange when i did the header install but i had to, so if you guys know something i can do to help this i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks'
B.J.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the coupler is not tight enough where the steering linkage attaches to the rack. Same problem on mine...I completely removed the bolt that holds the linkage on, shook it around a little to make sure the spline engaged. Red loctited the bolt and tightened the holy hell out of it. Problem went away.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^good advice
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Most likely the coupler is not tight enough where the steering linkage attaches to the rack. Same problem on mine...I completely removed the bolt that holds the linkage on, shook it around a little to make sure the spline engaged. Red loctited the bolt and tightened the holy hell out of it. Problem went away.
Ok well there are only 2 bolts holding the linkage on, which one did you tighten the one at the bottom of the car? or the one at the top?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never removed the shaft, but I am 99% sure the P/O did. The bolt I am talking about is on the coupler at the end of the shaft where the shaft attaches to the rack and pinion. I believe it was an 11 or 12 mm socket. Its down by the alternator.

GL
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

OO Ok i got you ill check on it man when i took it off for the header install, putting that thing back on was a PITA i kept on trying to put it on at the wrong angle.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
, putting that thing back on was a PITA i kept on trying to put it on at the wrong angle.
hmm its even worse with a woman