General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mmm...cat problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mmm...cat problem

Well my car has been throwing the P0430 SES code and I know it is either the passenger cat or O2 sensor. So I took it to a dealership today, Lou Bachrodt Chevy for the locals, and they blatantly refused me after I told them I had a 2000 T/A. They said for warranty work has to be done by Pontiac I think thats BS. I guess I'm taking it to Sherwood Pontiac in Delray. Any other suggestions or feedback on which dealership?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really sure about those places in south florida....did you check the back of the manual? it should tell you what the deal is....either they really cant do it or there being lazy and you shouldnt want anyone whos lazy working on your car anyways....just find the ponitiac place...and be done with it
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Teching In

you should check to see if your car is still covered by the federal emissions act. if it is then they are required to replace the cat free of charge. i belive its 80k mi/8 yrs, not 100% positive on that though.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Like listed above they will replace them no questions asked (on a stock car) if your under 80K miles. However, a Chevy dealership won't do warranty work on another brand name that they don't sell, even if it's a GM. That's pretty much standard. Like I have a freind that works a GMC dealership and he can't do warranty work on my Silverado.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I threw P0420 for drivers side Cat last week and my local Pontiac dealer replaced it for free under the emissions warranty which as stated above is 8 years/80,000 miles.

Only 30K miles on mine.....I talked to the mechanic and he said he has replaced several with less than 30K miles before. I thought it was a little low on mileage for that.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try another dealership - P0430 is most likely the cat.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright its all good guys. I called up Sherwood Pontiac and a VERY nice guy in the service department answered. We took it down there and maybe a mile from the place, keep in mind we had already driven more than 20 miles to this place, the light shut off . The guy said it was no problem that it shuts off and it resets itself after awhile so he was sure the problem was still there. Anyway I handed the keys away to some guy and there went my baby . But yeah I never knew warranty work was brand-specific so now I know and I should have her back by the end of the week.