General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight gear replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight gear replacement

I searched and found where to buy the brass gears, but his site was down I guess and didn't show the instructions. I recently bought the stock plastic ones off ebay, but I know it isn't just a simple swap in the new gear install. You havew to epoxy something? I also read that you could make a plate out of thin sheet metal that will hold better? I am having a hard time realizing what is needed? My TA is my daily driver and I don't have time to take apart the headlights and see what is needed and have my car down for more then a few hours. So if anyone has pics or better instructions on what is needed, please let me know, thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to epoxy the cover of the gear housing back on to the motor after you basically break it off. Hardest part is getting the damn motor out, the back nut and bolt are a real bitch. A really small 10 mm wrench and ratcheting wrench are pretty much a requirement. If Bfranker's site is still down(I just checked and it is for me) you can find the gears on ebay also, though I'm not sure about the quality. Make sure to push down all the tabs that hold the motor on to the gear section, or this will happen within a few days:

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

I bought my gears on ebay, saved 50 bucks but they are the stock plastic, it took them about 90k miles to wear out, so I can deal with another 90k. I know you have to epoxy, but I heard that only lasts a few months? I've heard of making a new plate out of thin sheet metal? Dunno? What tabs are you talking about? I guess you bend them out when you take the motor out? It is hard for me to see how to do this without doing it, I just don't want to get stuck without a car, I need it everyday. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure you glue the cover back extremely well. mine fell off..
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Mine fell off too. Make sure you use the epoxy for plastic. Its simple to do and if you don't finish just use your fog lights if you have to drive at night...jk
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

That's what I am worried about. Everyones seem to have fallen off. I don't want that to happen, I want it right the first time. What expoxy worked? What did you guys use or do after if fell off the first time? How long has it been holding up? I've heard about making a new cover out of sheet metal, but don't know anything else or details? I need a reliable setup! Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I just did the install this past saturday, the install was pretty straight forward and can easily be done in a day. Tools needed: (2) 10mm wrench's (1) preferably a ratchet-type as previously stated, (1) phillips head screw-driver, (2) flat-head screwdrivers to pry off the cover. Thats it, Basic instructions: remove one or both motors (I did both) pry off the plastic cover, swap gears, grease new gear very well, clean & coat plastic cover very well with epoxy, and most importantly LET EPOXY SIT WITHOUT OPERATING THE MOTORS FOR HOWEVER LONG YOUR EPOXY INSTR. SAY IT TAKES TO CURE. I pulled the headlight motor fuses, If you need the headlights then let them up manually.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

I mine fell apart because i didn't hold it with a C clamp the first time. I replaced both and on the second i did a job holding it togethe so its still working.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

my brass ones come with a t shaped brace that holds the shaft and all three bolts hold it in place which puts pressure on the cover so there is no way it can come loose. red91vette pm me with your adress and i can mail you the instr. that came with my gears if you want them but they dont have pics on them btw it took me about 1hr to do both lights minus the time for the epoxy to dry
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Abe99, you have to use a clamp? That is the first i've heard about that. I am just trying to get all the details and just get this done and never have to do it again, for a while. PMed you jd783 thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Make sure to push down all the tabs that hold the motor on to the gear section, or this will happen within a few days
That's why on his site he says that you MUST push down those tabs. I pushed mine down well and havent had a problem with my brass gear. Or my plastic cover falling off
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used a zip tie and duct tape and my motor cover has stayed on for three years. Luckly you can't see it w/o removing the headlight housing.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 Raptor TA
That's why on his site he says that you MUST push down those tabs. I pushed mine down well and havent had a problem with my brass gear. Or my plastic cover falling off
Yeah well.....I didn't notice that on the site until after I did the job
Old 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, well hopefully this weekend on sunday morning or saturday night I am going to install the new gears. I am just going to epoxy the hell outta the cover, hope it stays on. I shouldn't have to drive it till monday night or tuesday night. I don't know what tabs to pull back, but I guess I will find out when I do the install. I am not using the bronze gears, couldn't afford them at the time, so don't know if they are tabs to bend back or not. What epoxy did you guys use? What works best? It is just plastic to plastic bond right? I'll just get whatever the strongest is? Thanks.