General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

RPMs dropping fast after acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs dropping fast after acceleration

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but it seems like when i let off the accelerator, my RPMs drop way too fast. It's not very smooth. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem. Thought maybe oil is not viscous enough or something (changed to gc0w30 on last change), but oil looks fine.

Now that i think about it, i don't think the transmission fluid has been changed ever and it's 67k... could that be a cause of rapid deceleration?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ignore this... talked to a couple mechanics at work and they said I've just been driving my gf's standard too much. Apparently automatic transmission RPMs drop faster due to slip and I've never noticed until now bc i did not drive a stick until recently.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Yea its hard to get used to an auto after driving stick for a while

Anytime you jump on the gas in and auto and let off, the torque converter disengages and the revs fall back to around idle pretty quickly. The torque converter itself is pretty heavy, and you also have the resistance from spinning the automatic transmissions internals, so it pulls the revs down fast.

Quick Reply: RPMs dropping fast after acceleration