General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loose Tilt-Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Tilt-Wheel?

My steering wheel seems to have a lot of up/down play between the different settings of the tiltwheel feature. I dont remember it being like this before... but its been going on for a while, so I cant really remember it not doing it either!

So when traveling on the freeway for instance, or other bumpy road, the wheel will bounce up and down probably a good inch or so. If sitting still, I can just reach out and pull the wheel down an inch or so, and itll spring back up when I let it go. It causes the turn signal stalk to shake like crazy and make all sorts of annoying noises. If I push up on the wheel while im holding it, to prevent it from moving, the vibes and noise stop. Is it just a spring that holds the wheel in place in each of the tilt settings? Anyone else experiencing this? Any possible remedies?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a prob I had w/my 91 GMC Jimmy but it had almost 230K miles on it. It just got progressively worse so I was prepared to replace some bushings that I got from dealer but when I took it apart I could see that there were three cap screws that held tilt mechanism to steering shaft. They were very loose, almost ready to fall out!! Tightened those w/out removing any tilt stuff and took back bushings.
Thats all I have on this one. Sounds like you're gonna have to get in there and see or let the stealership do it.
Good luck!