General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird noise comin from engine compartment..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise comin from engine compartment..

k guys i'm worried...i just put a new clutch in and since the weather is startin to get colder i decided to go with 5w-30 full synthetic oil...ever since i have done that a weird whinning noise has been comin from the compartment.. i cannot tell whether or not it's coming from the belts, block or intake manifold. it doesn't make the noise at start but once i've been driving for a while it'll start doing it around 3000 rpms, and the noise only gets louder as they go up. occasionally the whine will come in around 2000 and when i turn the steering wheel it'll increase the noise a little bit. i checked the fluids and operation of the power-steering pump and it all seems fine to me.... should i just go back to a heavier weight oil or go get it checked out?? bang:
Old 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its belt related... Just take off your belt and start the car and see if the noise is gone. If it is, its the belt, if not, then at least you ruled that out, and can look for other causes. Its possible you dripped oil on the belt somehow and that is causing it to squeek. Its free and fast to check, so why not?