General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rotationa squeak despite new brakes- wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotationa squeak despite new brakes- wheel bearing?

Hey guys,

I have a rotational squeaking at slow speeds. It still makes the sound whether or not I am braking, but it slows down as I brake. I replaced my brake pads and rotors and now its even louder. My friend thinks it is my wheel bearing.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Lane
Old 10-19-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

From what I have seen wheel bearings typically don't squeak. If they are bad it is usually like a thunk sound or a clunking type sound. Did you put anti-squeal on the pads when you replaced the brakes. If so then I would look at your backing plates, also make sure your tires are inflated properly. I low tire can cause brakes to squeak at slow speeds.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Id put money on a bent axle... how MUCH money is a different story!

I had pretty much the exact same problem, with it squeeking while the car was rolling whether the brakes were applied or not. I thought it was the axle to start with, so I brought it in to a local LS1 Tuner to have him take a look. He said he would swap the axle out from "another car he had on his lot" to save me some money in case that wasnt the problem. Well $75 later, the noise was still there. I then turned my attention to the brakes, going out and buying new rotors and pads. The noise stayed, so I brought it to the dealer, who again said it was the brakes, being as I used inferior aftermarket parts, and if they did the work with OEM parts, the noise would be gone. $550 later, with the noise still there, they proceed to tell me these cars are just noisey, and the squeek is perfectly normal! So, uncertain about the work of the first mechanic, I decide to take my car to a rear-end specific shop, and right away they diagnose it as a bent axle. Turns out the first shop never bothered to swap the axles, but still decided it was worthwhile to charge me anyway :roll: The shop put in the new axle, and I finally have peace and quiet.... well I guess with an LS1 "quiet" is a relative term!

It only took being ripped off twice, but at least the noise is gone. So if you have a rearend shop in your area that you trust, have them take a quick look for you.

Last edited by 00CaliforniaZ28; 10-20-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you feel any vibration difference? Ride any better?

I would have never of suspected a bent axle.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

The best way to check the bearing is to jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheel that is making the noise. If so, you probably need a new hub/wheel bearing, otherwise something else is the problem. Let me know if it ends up being the hub, I have a new one that I will let go for cheap. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

What bolts are supposed to be greased for the caliper assembly? The first two small bolts that I took off I put lock tite on. I put grease on the second set of larger bolts that have rubber boots on the end. Was I supposed to put grease on the smaller bolts too? I know that install university says to put locktite on all of them.

Thanks again,
Lane

Quick Reply: Rotationa squeak despite new brakes- wheel bearing?