General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Wont start.....not Normal probelm!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wont start.....not Normal probelm!!

Whats up everyone im having some SERIOUS trouble. my car seems to have just died competely.
Car was running and starting fine. drove it a mile up the road to get some gas. i fill it up, go to start the car and NOTHING! the motor doesnt try to turn, to relays or anything click, and NONE of the accessories come on(radio, windows, etc.) the only thing that works is the dome lights when a door is opened. i had it towed to my house, checked the battery and its fine. the battery is reading between 12-13 volts. starter seems fine, but we tried tapping on it just because, and anyway, a bad starter would not enable the interior accessories to come on. next i checked to see if i blew a fuse. every ign/battery/alt/etc fuse and relay is fine. after that i grabbed my other set of keys to see if the chip in the key was dirty or something. that didnt work. next we tried popping the clutch, and nothing! the ONLY thing left i can think of is the ignition switch, but my buddy who is a professional mechanic says he doesnt think thats what it is(i forget why he thinks this, but i remember him making sense haha).
i will say that for about the past week, very randomly when i started my car it would start fine but then make like a grinding noise, like something was stuck. it sounded like when you try to turn the key more after the car is already running.
so is there ANYTHING else it could be like maybe a bad ground somewhere. im at a loss and need my car running ASAP as it is my daily driver. i think ill go ahead a try replacing the ignition switch tomarrow just because. but ANY info or tips would be very very helpful.thanks alot for any help!
-Derek
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone???
Old 10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

starter....look at what your own words said...that none of the acc. came on, and that you claim they wont when its broke....however, ive seen them come on even when the starters broke.....it deff. sounds like a electrical problem...a grinding or drilling sound will usually mean the starters on the way out....take a better look at it, and yes look at the ignition
Old 10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i firgured it out. when i put my headers on i head to replace the front passenger side o2 sensor, the one right by the starter. i guess in the process of getting the headers on and/or replacing the o2 one of the starter wires got re-routed and burned up on the header. so i fixed that, and problem solved.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work man...Its good that you came back and posted your resolution to your problem.

I'm tired of seeing those incomplete threads (when searching)where no answers were ever posted and nothing was ever resolved!LOL!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i figured it would be helpful for anyone in the future who plans on doing headers. haha
Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
yea i figured it would be helpful for anyone in the future who plans on doing headers. haha
Hey...I'm sure you are not the first and you are not going to be the last to make this little slip up...
Old 10-21-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic