General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loud Squealing when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Loud Squealing when turning...

Well I'm still having P/S problems and it's gotten me to the point of pushing my car off a cliff. We have put in a new pump and reservior recently due to a very bad leak. We'd fill the reservior, drive about 3 miles and it would be empty. Come to find out the rack was leaking badly so we replaced it with a used one with low miles on it that I bought from a member here. It was installed yesterday and there is still a leak but this time it's coming from the pump/reservior. The pump has been removed 3 times to assure it was seated properly and a new seal used also. Well everything seemed fine with the exception for the leak . Today I had to run an errand 5 miles down the road and when I made a turn into the shopping center at about 5mph I heard a squealing coming from the wheel area. The sound can be best described as a squealing tire as if you were taking a hard turn really fast. When I pulled into the parking lot I heard it again. Went in the store came out and it seemed fine but I decided to test it a little so I went into another parking lot. At a slow easy turn it didnt make the noise but when I turned really hard left and right it squealed. I was only going about 5 mph or so.....barely moving. I left the parking lot and then went out on the road and when I made the right turn I heard the sqealing ...again just like a tire squealing around a sharp corner. I went on down the road which started to take a very slight bend and as I slightly turned the steering wheel I heard the squealing again...very loud. I checked the fluid and it was fine....about 2/3 full. When I pulled the car into the parking spot here at home it made no squeals at all btw

Also the steering definetly is easier then my old one but to me there seems to be too much play in it. When you go over a slight bump it pulls the steering. This could be all normal but just asking.

Any ideas on what on earth this squealing could be????

Update.....just took out the car again and I'm leaning now more towards it having something to do with the tires. I was coming up to a light going perfectly straight and the light turned yellow so I had the hit the brakes kinda hard. As I did that the squealing noise came and stopped once I came almost to the stop. It was a very low squeal. I turned into a community and did some slight turns and sharp turns hardly moving at all and no squeals...just the whine now from my pump because the reservior is low at this point. I got back on the main road and by the time I get up to 50mph I hear the noise again...faint squeal. I checked the air pressure in all tires and all are about 35 psi. Tires are not worn and didnt make this noise until we installed the rack yesterday so I'm baffled

Last edited by Flamin' bird; 10-21-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brakes??? If they're metallic pads they'll make noise from time to time. Unless you need brakes.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am a bit stumped by this one, so I will ask the stupid questions first (not trying to insult your intelligence): could it be the power steering belt slipping? Maybe you got a little fluid on it and it is slipping? The only other thing that could explain why you would have a tire squealing and bump steer is if you somehow have changed the steering / wheel geometry (did you have anything apart?) and the tire is hitting the pavement at a screwed up angle and is being "dragged" across the pavement. I guess I need more details on exactly what you did to the car before this symptom happened.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I am a bit stumped by this one, so I will ask the stupid questions first (not trying to insult your intelligence): could it be the power steering belt slipping? Maybe you got a little fluid on it and it is slipping? The only other thing that could explain why you would have a tire squealing and bump steer is if you somehow have changed the steering / wheel geometry (did you have anything apart?) and the tire is hitting the pavement at a screwed up angle and is being "dragged" across the pavement. I guess I need more details on exactly what you did to the car before this symptom happened.

Thanks for the reply. What we did before the noises started was take out my old leaking rack and replaced it. We checked the serpentine belt and it seems fine but I'm going to replace it anyway. They guy I bought the rack from suggested that it is glazed like what you're saying. I believe you are right on the tires not hitting the road correctly and thats what my boyfriend diagnosed it probably being last night when I was able to let him hear the noises. We think we have two things going on with it. The tires not being right and it needing alignment as its definetely pulling to the right and that the rack is not getting enough fluid to it from the leak.

I'm going to get a new pressure hose and return hose along with a new belt. If the new hoses don't fix the leak then I'm at a loss Its the only things left that werent replaced.

Thanks again for the insight and help...muchly appreciated.

Last edited by Flamin' bird; 10-24-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah - definitely take it to a good alignment shop once you get the power steering working. That should cure the problem. Best O' Luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
yeah - definitely take it to a good alignment shop once you get the power steering working. That should cure the problem. Best O' Luck!
Thanks alot again for the help and good luck . Now I just have to find a good shop