General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heater core?

Hey guys, sometimes in the car i get a coolant smell, kinda like waffles and syrup. How can i tell if the heater core is going bad? Next time its foggy? defrost it using heat or cold? I hear people say they get fog when they try to defrost and their heater core is bad. Im gonna check the coolant tommorow. I had the car completely flushed last summer and the car doesnt see many miles. It just turned 50k miles tonight. Thanks

Mike 2000z28
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

You will be losing coolant, when you turn on the defroster the windshield will get pretty foggy, and the dead give away will be the passenger side floorboard will be getting wet.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

but the defrost blows cold air, not warm air. In our cars, theres no setting for windshield without using the AC which sucks IMO. When you say defrost, In cold air mode, or you want me to turn it to the red for hot?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I'm on the third htr core in a 99 SS - first was bad from the factory (FU GM).
THe first two were leaking on the carpet, however I can smell coolant again yet it's not leaking on to the carpet. They are made with nylon tubes and tanks and they SUCK. One of the (many) niggling problems that continues to keep re-occurring.

*Hope everyone sent in the HOR ROD survey - "tell gm how to build the new camaro". Several items asked how much extra you would pay for engine upgrades, or radio and a/c deletions, but none asked if you would pay extra for matched, higher quality drive train components (like clutch hydr., rear, shifter, monsoon, better fit and finish, etc, etc, etc.)*

Oh, and it'll be built in canada (again) YAY! as if gm will still be in business then..
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
but the defrost blows cold air, not warm air. In our cars, theres no setting for windshield without using the AC which sucks IMO. When you say defrost, In cold air mode, or you want me to turn it to the red for hot?
Use the heat, just turn all 3 of the HVAC ***** all the way to the right and see if you get a little mist above the vent. You can put your hand above the vent and feel the coolant spitting out of it. Are you losing coolant?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, update. I just got back from work and i used the defrost and it defrosted most of the windshield except two big holes in the middle of the windshield! It just seemed to show up right now, before it did defrost the window, but tonight it didnt get all of it. I didnt smell or see anything spitting out and ac was cold and the heat was hot, but the heat for some reason felt a bit muggy, not a dry heat like earlier!

I did check the coolant today and it was at or above the full line, right where it should be. Car was cold, before first start of day i checked it.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coolant smells like waffles = time for a change/you are low, unless you are burning it. When you checked the level did you also check the overflow tank?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

They can seep for quite a while b4 they puke. Better change it now before you wind up with pink carpet.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its been raining here so much lately so i have been using the defroster with all the dials turned to the right and its defrosting the window and no smells of coolant lately(knock on wood). Coolant isnt low. The car is going in storage Nov 15 anyways. For as much as a pain it is to change, i want to make sure it is bad first. Appreciate all the input, if anything else changes, ill be sure to update the thread.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's like women if it stinks it's bad.