General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hydrolocked

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I know I can replace the block and heads for $5000 myself. The car is a 2000 SS so I dont see how they could total it. What if a shop gives some ludacris $9000 estimate, when I know for a fact it can be done for less, do you have negotiation room with them for those circumstances?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

call a few of the sponsors on moday and see if they cant help you out in this situation. i'm sure you wouldn't be the first with a deal like this. i know hpe offers a low buck shortblock. mti or gforce probably have something as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_engine02.asp
with labor the 347 package should be around 5K
Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
I mean I know I can replace the block and heads for $5000 myself. The car is a 2000 SS so I dont see how they could total it. What if a shop gives some ludacris $9000 estimate, when I know for a fact it can be done for less, do you have negotiation room with them for those circumstances?
So if you buy a block and heads and do it yourself what do you think the shop will charge? probably at least a grand to remove the engine and another grand to put it in. Maybe more. Now you could be at 7k for a car worth 7-10k on the low side to the insurance company. I have seen insuarnce companies total cars for less. You're trying to apply common sense to insurance companies and that won't work. They also won't typically let you do you own labor cause if you fu*k it up you may be making another claim. All this is BS though. You need to take your car to a reputable shop call the insurance company and let them tell you what they will do for you. You might have some room to negotiate but not a whole lot. At least that is my opinion.

I had a 94 Mustang 3 weeks old and some ******* made a left out in front of me. 12k worth of damage for a 20k car and the insurance insisted on fixing it so you never know. I have a buddy who got hit in the back of his 30k infinity and the repairs were 8k and they totaled it. Just never know.