General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

E10 Gasohol... Fuel treatment to stabilize this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E10 Gasohol... Fuel treatment to stabilize this?

Hey Fellas,

Somewhere I was reading about the 10% ethanol in most gasses today. Cant seem to find the thread. Anywho Im worried because I do not drive my car that much and the possibility of screwing up the fuel system scares me. Is there a fuel treatment that actually neutralizes the bad effects of this gas? I remember seeing Lucas mentioned.... anyone know what is best for the job?

Thanks,

Erik
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I ran 90 Oct. E-10 in my 94 for years and it ran fine..it will not do any harm to your car..ignore what you've heard.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98camarozzz
I ran 90 Oct. E-10 in my 94 for years and it ran fine..it will not do any harm to your car..ignore what you've heard.
Supposedly the returnless 98 up fuel systems are the culprit. I dunno.

thanks 4 the reply
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Here in the Midwest we’ve been using E10 for a very long time. All the cars I currently own have been born and raised on E10 without issues.

Don’t worry about leaving the car sit. My ’98 has only 14,000 miles on it, and it’s had nothing but E10 for the last 8 years of it’s life without any issues.

Having said that, my understanding in regards to the corrosion issue people are concerned with when using E10 fuels is due to moisture. It’s not the small amount of ethanol in the fuel that causes the issue with E10, it’s what happens in the fuel system when the ethanol meets water/moisture. That is when corrosion becomes an issue.

In the last year I have started using Redline fuel system treatment with every tank of gas (1/5 ounce per gallon ratio). Among it’s other benefits, it will disperse small amounts of water in the fuel, reducing the risk of rust and corrosion; so it should help with any E10 concerns. Continual use in rarely driven cars seems to really benefit the fuel system, I’ve noticed faster cold starting and smoother idling since using this product in my garage queen Camaro.

But keep in mind that the car went 7 years without using any fuel system treatment and sitting in the garage A LOT, and still I had no issues with the fuel system. So I wouldn’t worry too much.

Quick Reply: E10 Gasohol... Fuel treatment to stabilize this?