General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0171 & P0174 ses codes again!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0171 & P0174 ses codes again!! Help!!!

Since I ported my TB, sharpend the butterfly, & quicksteeled in upper part of TB and used 3/8" tubing as air passage's, (5 months ago at least) I have been chasing this idal surge from 1100 to 1300 after car warms up.
1. removed quicksteel and tubing & made sure all "O"rings are good. Bought new ERG "O"ring.
2. plugged in extra AIT while other was still in TB. It moved back and forth in small quick strokes. (I guess that means it is controling ) Also did the reverse to make sure both moved the same.
3. Since idle is high I used existing butterfly screws & sealant to attach a brass plate to TB butterfly in order to fill butterfly idle hole. (incase I ported around butterfly seat)
- after installing brass plate the idle was low and stumbly (like a cam lope) but surging had quit. Also I had to give it more gas before fully letting out clutch.
4. Drilled very small hole in brass plate through existing butterfly hole in an attempt to raise idle some but not allow surging to come back.
- SURGING IS BACK! UGGGGGGGGG
5. noticed AIT plunger is almost all the way out (even extra AIT) so I quick steeled the TB 1/4" at the base of the AIT area to allow more control range (just in case it was maxed out trying to close off) and reset the PCM again.
- this worked for a week (man I was proud of myself ) then on our first cold moringing the exact same surging came back and SES light came on a day later.....
6. Just for the hell of it, today I replaced my K&N with a fram to hopefully slow down the air flow. Also I am currently resetting PCM.

I am begining to think My MAF has failed...

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

P0171 fuel trim system lean bank 1
P0174 fuel trim system rich bank 2

hope it helps.......
Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P0171 and P0174 means you're lean on BOTH banks - not unusual to have both at the same time depending on the cause. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9039.php
Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have reset the computer by pulling pcm / egn start fuse, and truning key on for ten minutes. No problem have done it a few times.....

1. After the car warms up, in just a few miles, when I come to a stop the idle drops to 500rpm stumbles like it is going to die and jumps up to a rough 1000rpm.
a. I figured the computer was just trying to calibrate, but it after restarting the car a few times it is still doing it.
b. at 1000rpm's the car stumbles like it has a big cam (feels good!!)
2. Has anybody had there idle surging up and down and been able to fix this problem???

I am still leaning tward MAF being bad due to both banks being lean. I am not a tuner, but if both banks are lean & the MAF is bad, then my car may be running in some make-shift Speed Dencity mode??? Does any of this sound close to correct??????

Thanks again. Man I need some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a vaccum leak get some brake clean and spray around and listen for the idle to change and you found your leak
Old 11-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

1. Sprayed brake cleaner around the TB and nothing.
2. sprayed cleaner on top of EGR area of Intake manifold and idle changed...
pulled back black sheath to look at area where tubing meets the plate and found....wait for it.............big a$$ crack going half way around area where tubing meets the mounting plate!
3. Put some RTV 450degree silicone sealant over crack and filled the bowl area. I have to wait till in the morning (for sealant to harden) before giving it a test drive.

Man I hope this is the end of this!!!!!! I have been chasing this problem too long!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Check your fuel pressure volume,replace filter

Quick Reply: P0171 & P0174 ses codes again!! Help!!!