General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights and dash lights dim for a second...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights and dash lights dim for a second...

I am not sure if its the air pump or what but all the lights dim for a second going down the road...just cruising not punching it or anything...also does it when I start at night and push the accelerator a few times...thats what makes me think it might be the punp cause I can hear it cut on when they dim.Any ideas?I was going to put a UD pulley on but worried it would make the problem worse...
Old 11-12-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car does this sometime also...your air pump isnt supposed to be on when your driving down the road, it will usually cut off a few seconds after your car is getting warmed up....the electrical systems in these cars are very tempermental and dont hold load very well....the light issue i really wouldnt worry about though, unless it gets worse
Old 11-12-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can temporarily remove the AIR PUMP fuse under the hood and see if it goes away. It'll throw an SES light but won't hurt driveability, and after replacing it the light will go off by itself after 3 cold ignition cycles. Believe it throws P0412.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Yeah mine does this too sometimes while cruising. Thought I was seeing things at first.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

standard on f-body
Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZROCWS6
Yeah mine does this too sometimes while cruising. Thought I was seeing things at first.
****...........I really thought it was my imagination or my eye sight Good thing I came across this thread.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by joenels
I am not sure if its the air pump or what but all the lights dim for a second going down the road...just cruising not punching it or anything...also does it when I start at night and push the accelerator a few times...thats what makes me think it might be the punp cause I can hear it cut on when they dim.Any ideas?I was going to put a UD pulley on but worried it would make the problem worse...
Sounds normal. Mine does it too after a restart of the motor or a couple times while the motor is still warming up after a cold start. It's definitely the air pump in my case, because I can hear the pump cut on and off when this happens. It's not like the pump runs for long, just cuts on an off for a second while driving after a cold start. Happens more when the weather is cold. It's been doing it for as long as I've owned the car without getting any different/worse, so I don't worry about it.

Oh yeah, same thing happens (to a smaller degree though) when the cooling fans kick on. It's only noticeable at idle though.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha mine does the same damn thing. Thought somethin was jacked
Old 11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

mine used to do that for a long time then the cgeck gauges light would come on then i realized the bat. gauge was real low. my problem was with my alternator. check you voltage when it does that i had all kinds of flickering going on!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Just got my camaro today and the drive home at night was a bit scary. I have a 98 auto, the thing I noticed was I see a a light right on top of the temp gauge go on for a fraction of a second then the lights on the interior go dim and the headlights go bright WTF? amp gauge is around 13 or 14 all the time. Any Ideas? my 1st F body Im a mustang guy converted over.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AIR pump will cause your lights to flicker...normal.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing here...to me it seemed like it was the fans kicking on, I always noticed it on a dark road at night long after the AIR pump shuts off...I wouldn't worry about it unless you have any other electrical probs.