General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

All About Engine Oil~!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
Who has tested this oil to claim it's the best out there?
I have mine tested (analyzed) at each and every oil change.

To view other peoples analysis of this oil and other oils, go to:
bobistheoilguy.com
They live oil like we live LS1's....

Last edited by Weezzer; 01-15-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was a legit question.

However I did a quick search to find it is "German Castrol"

Who has tested this oil to claim it's the best out there? Honestly this is the first I have heard of it.

If you can get the search button to work, search on GC or german castrol. It should keep you busy reading for some time.

So far, of all oil analysis' posted, GC seems to have the best numbers over the long term. Oil change intervals of 6k, 7k, and more have returned outstanding numbers.

GC made in Germany, which means its made of actual synthetic base stocks due to truth in advertising laws in the EU (or, simply to adhere to standards set by manufacturers, depending on which story you prefer). There aren't very many pure traditionally synthetic oils (Group IV) left in the US now that the oil companies can call Group III oils "synthetic." There's even an oil conspiracy hubub going on that Mobil1 has abandoned, or largely abandoned, PAO base stocks and is using a large percentage of GP III oils in their products.

GC can only be found in the US online or in an AutoZone store. All AutoZone stores don't carry it, just some.

In short, it's the Magic Elixor for your car.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

I just figured M1 gave up using PAO based oils about 2-3 years ago.
I'll definetly look more into this. I do 6000-7000 mile oil changes on the Olds, using either M1 or Royal Purple (depending on what mood I'm in) also this is highway driving, I do 7k miles in 3 months. I was planning on sticking with 5k oil changes on the 'camaro. Will definetly look more into this!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

I thought it was a legit question.

However I did a quick search to find it is "German Castrol"

Who has tested this oil to claim it's the best out there? Honestly this is the first I have heard of it.
I'm not sure it's unequivocally "the best out there". But IF you can find it (a BIG IF in some areas), it IS the best out there for the price. It certainly does test out/show GREAT oil analysis results. But I suspect that the high ester base stock "boutique" synthetics (Redline, Motul 300V, Silkolene/Fuchs, Torco, etc.) would do just as well (or better, albeit at a MUCH higher cost) if enough people used them and did an oil analysis on those brands.