General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeaking from clutch area...need some expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking from clutch area...need some expert advice

Please help me diagnose this...its driving me nuts. I've narrowed the squeaking/chirping noise down to rear of the engine. It is not coming from the belts (squeaks with both belts off).

It squeaks ONLY after the engine is warmed up (after about 2 minutes of driving), and then it continues to chirp when I'm on the highway (clutch in or out, in neutral or in gear)...chirp speeds up when engaging the clutch...chirps are more pronounced when car is vibrating e.g. going over bumps or rough pavement...all sounds seem to come from the back of the engine

VERY SELDOM does it squeak at idle but it does occasionally after a longer trip. When it does squeak at idle its much quieter.

Are any of these symptomatic of a bad throw out bearing? Pilot bearing? Release bearing? I really don't know the difference or the inner workings of a clutch, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a cheap fix.

Can anyone help pinpoint this problem based on what I've described?

Last edited by Fovsky; 12-03-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this on the 01 Z06 in your signature? It sounds like a throwout bearing starting to fade away. I had a similar noise (though not as bad) on my 98 C5 and when it was taken apart for a new clutch, the throwout bearing didn't look so hot itself.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Yes, the culprit is the Z06 in my sig.

I've updated the original post because I realized last night that its also squeaking while in neutral and with the clutch in, on the highways. It pretty much squeaks all the time but ONLY when the engine is warmed up. It has NEVER squeaked within the first 30 seconds of driving.

Still symptomatic of a bad throwout bearing? Whats the fix for this? Do people really have their clutch taken apart to replace throwout bearings? I can't imagine that being cheap.

Last edited by Fovsky; 12-03-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

sounds like a throw out bearing. Mine did the same thing and when I got in there it was completly toast, and had no idea how it was still working.

Good news the part is cheap, bad news you have to take the clutch assembly apart. If you are still on your stock clutch might as well switch it out while you are in there.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fovsky
Yes, the culprit is the Z06 in my sig.

I've updated the original post because I realized last night that its also squeaking while in neutral and with the clutch in, on the highways. It pretty much squeaks all the time but ONLY when the engine is warmed up. It has NEVER squeaked within the first 30 seconds of driving.

Still symptomatic of a bad throwout bearing? Whats the fix for this? Do people really have their clutch taken apart to replace throwout bearings? I can't imagine that being cheap.
It probably doesn't cost as much as you imagine. Yes the whole rear end/transaxle will have to come out, then the torque tube, then you can get to the t/o bearing from there. The clutch itself won't have to come out, but if you had ever thought of changing it, now would be a good time to do so. The throwout bearing itself is pretty cheap, less than $20.

I had my clutch replaced a few months ago, along with a few other things, and it was $400. Very affordable if you ask me.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
sounds like a throw out bearing. Mine did the same thing and when I got in there it was completly toast, and had no idea how it was still working.

Good news the part is cheap, bad news you have to take the clutch assembly apart. If you are still on your stock clutch might as well switch it out while you are in there.
When you say "mine did the same thing" do you mean that your car squeaked in the EXACT same manner and at the same times as how I've described? If not, what was different.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have any good pics or diagrams of our clutch? So I can investigate further.