General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

95 firebird & VATS, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 firebird & VATS, need help

Here's the deal, I've got a 95 firebird that has been sitting in my yard for two years. I went to fire it up a few months back and couldn't find the keys, evidently my kids lost them from what my wife says. Anyway, I tried having a new set cut at the dealer but they won't turn the tumbler, we've tried two different keys to make sure they were cut correctly but no luck. Whoever owned this car before changed the lock cylinder so it put me in a bind. Well I bought a complete steering column from a feller on here and was going to swap the column out and somehow fool the computer in thinking the VATS was working. I'm sure the ohm's is different in this key for the new column than the stock one, I'll check to make sure though. Is there a way I can buy a diode or something to splice in line to the VATS wire to make the computer think the right key is in the ignition? Would a VATS bypass module work? I don't really need that B.S. on this car which is why I'm going this route. Thanks for any help,

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your going to need to know the resistance of the chip that was in the key in order for the bypass to work. Theres 12 (not sure) different resistances that GM used, correct me if Im wrong. I want to say mine was 54K ohms, and I just wired a matching resister in series with the Vats and now I have no use for the chip.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Launching!

there is a small harness usually white 24 awg in an orange sleeve..disconnect that and install a resistor on the BCM side across the white wires...this will render VATS usless

now normally here i would say select the R value based on the measured value of the pellet in your key...since this is unknown you have 15 different values to pick..trail and error here...

the 15 values are 392,523,681,887,1130,1470,1870,2370,3010,3740,4750 ,6040,7500,9530,11800...

you can get theses at radio shack or even better try a DEI viper dealer and ask for a VATS resistor pack or ebay

or if your lucky and have a friend with ls1edit the more elegant way is use that to point and click VATS off
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, can I use a multimeter to determine the resistance of the chip?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Launching!

yes you can....the key the dealer cut for that car should be the correct valve regardless if the key cylinder or even if the column is changed...the resister valve in the key is coded in the BCM from factory....so the R value is good....im guessing you just 'cant physically turn the key'

ps what i would do is measure that value of the dealer cut key....buy a blank with that value and now cut a new key to match your new colum....ebay has blank keys with all 15 different values

Quick Reply: 95 firebird & VATS, need help