General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front End Alignment HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Alignment HELP

my car has been out of alignment for quite some time now and its starting to eat my inner tire pretty quick and I dont have the money to get it fix right now. Is there a way to do it myself to get a semi close? I know how to adjust each wheel in and out I just dont have an alignment bar and was wondering if there was a way to do it with measuring? Anybody who can help please let me know. Thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly man ive never seen anyone do it without the right tools....if someone has id like to hear it to
Old 12-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

I have done string alignments before to get me by.

1: Tie/hold the steering wheel straight where it will not move.
2: Get a string and run it from the rear tire to the frt. Make sure the sting is in the middle of the tire. I use the wheel emblem for reference
3: Pull the string tight to the frt wheels. Pull it across the frt wheel in the center, using wheel emblem.
4: If the steering wheel is straight and will not move, you can see how far your toe is out. Wether positive or negative.
5: Adj toe in/out to where it barely touchs the wheel on the back side (looking at wheel rt side).
6: This wil get you in the ball park. like stated I have done this several times and it has been pretty close when I have checked it with a machine.

Send me your e-mail thru PM and I can send you pics of my car about the string if you are confused. It is easier to show than to tell/type it out. It will take about 30 minutes to fully adj toe on both sides doing this method.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

well I did a string alignment and my front end showed to be off ALOT...once I realigned the front end I went and test drove it and it felt like a whole new car, it actually seems to turn on a dime now and no more oversteer. Thanks 01WS6er for your help!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOl, ghetto aligning.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

lol I bet i got it closer then what them dip ***** at the alignment shop would of got it...Last time I went to an alignment shop they screwed it up worse then before..but this is only temporary to get me by for now...
Old 12-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

lol I bet i got it closer then what them dip ***** at the alignment shop would of got it...Last time I went to an alignment shop they screwed it up worse then before..but this is only temporary to get me by for now...
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Launching!

No problem, sorry for getting you the pics late. I'd drive it and see what happens to your tire wear. I have done my own cars this way and have never had a tire wear problem.

most alignment shops get in a hurry and mess up it worse.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always insist on seeing the computer printout after they do the alignment. It shows you the specs for your car and how close your car was before and after the alignment.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Toe doesnt always fix tire wear though. As far as Camber and Caster go...good luck on doing it without the actual alignment machine
Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MEZA TA
Toe doesnt always fix tire wear though. As far as Camber and Caster go...good luck on doing it without the actual alignment machine
Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Yeah, the camber is a bitch to adjust on fbodies. they have a special tool that you have to use if you want to adjust it. Did you check the tie rod for play before you adjusted it? because if it's bad, it won't matter how you align it/what you do to it.

I work at a tire shop.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I would trust the string method over taking it to some shop that will just slap a machine on it and bump it to pass and throw it out the door. All the NASCAR teams use to the string method to align there cars and set them up. They have the camber guages they put on the hub to do camber and caster. I think if its good enough for a 200mph race car i think its close enough for our cars.

But back to the original post. If your car is wearing on the inside edge only thats camber. If it has sharp edges in only one direction as you run your fingers over it then its the toe.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if my my front left tire is leaning out. the top is further out than the bototm of the tires is that camber or toe? the outside tread is wearing more i belive because of this and my car pulls to the left
Old 01-10-2007, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
if my my front left tire is leaning out. the top is further out than the bototm of the tires is that camber or toe? the outside tread is wearing more i belive because of this and my car pulls to the left

positive camber that is.....

this is the wierd way to be out, not a slow wearing concern. it will go negative that way. most all vehicles go negative unless theres a hit, not a spring sag or wearing parts or bushings. you deff have a bent part. camber is adjustable though but only a few degrees on the f body. you really need to get it on a machine.
as for setting toe on the street, you really need turn plates under the tires as you will over compensate when the tires are being dragged on the pavement
Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

What specs should I tell the alignment shop for a mostly stock car?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I couldn't find the specific article I was looking for, it was a part of HOT ROD's Build a Budget Race Car series. They aligned an 84 GT with string, it was dead on and I wouldn't call it ghetto. HOT ROD used a plumb bob to measure camber so it is possible, this is just what I came up with.
http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ent/index.html
Old 01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSChevyManiac
I couldn't find the specific article I was looking for, it was a part of HOT ROD's Build a Budget Race Car series. They aligned an 84 GT with string, it was dead on and I wouldn't call it ghetto. HOT ROD used a plumb bob to measure camber so it is possible, this is just what I came up with.
http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...ent/index.html

i think you could get it kinda close but while your twisting tierods you should have a turn plate under the wheels..

you know half a turn off on 1 tierod could cause the tires to wear earlie.