General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

initial start up question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default initial start up question

So I just put a new engine in my formy. I started it tonight and it ran like ****. that is to be expected. it's a heads cam car with a mail order cam only tune. anyway after a few minutes of keeping it alive it found idle. oil pressure is good at 45-50psi at idle. however, there is a horrible tick from the front end of the engine I think it may be one of the accessories. anyone have this issue, it is loud as ****. also the car is having heating issues. it got to about 215 real fast. it's 25* out by me and the car never gets this hot even in the winter. anyone have any advice?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Not sure on the ticking, but the cooling issue might be due to air still being in your cooling system since it's a new motor.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:13 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so i may have fixed my own problem. last night, i was looking at the car after i shut it down, i added more coolant to the radiator after seeing it had gone down. today I started it, added about another 2 quarts of coolant and as I added the coolant the ticking went away. my guess is that there was a air pocket in the water pump? now it was running at about 165 idling in the garage with the heat in the car on.