General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What to clean MAF with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
When I removed the air filter lid there was quite a bit of bugs and trash on the screen to the MAF. I took a purdy soft paint brush and gently brushed it off. I assume this screen is not the part that is delicate anyway. My mechanic said use q-tips and alcohol too but everything seems to think not to touch the wires. I ran out of time so I put everything back together and I will wait until I have more time. My car is not real bad but it has changed since I reoiled the filter which I discarded since so I would not be making it worse.
Im sure the K&N Filter is your problem, all that oil is hitting your MAF along with your lid not sealing properly. If i were you i would just stick with a paper filter. From what ive heard, the K&N filter really isnt any better then a regular paper filter and for $70 bucks (price i saw for a K&N). That bitch can stay at the store lol Get yourself a can of MAF cleaner from Advanced Auto Part's and just spray the MAF down. It evaporates and dry's by itself and no need to worry about touching the wires.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Im sure the K&N Filter is your problem, all that oil is hitting your MAF along with your lid not sealing properly. If i were you i would just stick with a paper filter. From what ive heard, the K&N filter really isnt any better then a regular paper filter and for $70 bucks (price i saw for a K&N). That bitch can stay at the store lol Get yourself a can of MAF cleaner from Advanced Auto Part's and just spray the MAF down. It evaporates and dry's by itself and no need to worry about touching the wires.
You heard right. No way possible for a K&N filters anywhere near as good as the ole' paper filter. And that 1-2 hp increase that the K&N suppossedly gives just isn't worth it at all. Dirty MAF's and more engine wear. Its a no brainer. But they certainly do market those things well to make sales like they do

Quick Reply: What to clean MAF with?