General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help please engine prob.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help please engine prob.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok here it goes, i was driving my buddy off base to get his bike and he said that he liked my car, sooo naturaly any guy with an ls1 would show them what it really has so i jumped on it some from a stop ripped second and since it is stock it wont power shift 3 so so i know i didnt over rev. the engine, after that it had a knock noise so i limped it back to base. as i drove i noticed that the knock keep getting louded and sounded like it was from the back of the engine or the trany i naturaly that it was the clutch so i pulled it but it was all fine. so then i said **** a push rod bint or something but not that either the car was about a quart low and i had oil to change it that day. now i am going to check the timeing chain and valves, one thing on the valves i dont get. on passenger side all looked good some rockers up and some done but the driver side all up no springs compressed i dont know what to do what is the chance i spun a rod baring the car is all stock 98 ss camero
one more thing when i was pulling into the parking lot on base the car died and jurked likethe clutch let go that is why i thought that it was the clutch then i started it again to try pull in again and it didd the same the 3 time it wouldnt start you could hear the starter hit but wouldnt turnover. the next day it started and still had the loud as knock so i killed it and it hasnt started ever since that was 2 days ago.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure if you spun a bearing that your oil pressure would significanly drop. If you didnt remove the push rods theres no way to know that one is not bent. IF you want to check that you'll have to remove each one and roll it on a flat surface(glass table top..something like that) and look very closely for wobble. If your camAro is a 98, some have had oil pump issues. Crank it up and tell us what your Oil pressure is reading.

Also take a look at your valve springs to make sure none are broken.

Is the knock a deep sounding clunck clunck clunck or more of a higher pitch tap tap tap? tapping or ticking is ususally valveterain, clunking is more that likely bottom end (rod knock).