General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car won't start.

Hey guys need a little direction with this one, 2002 TA wont start.

I have lights and everything battery gauge shows ~11-12V, will not start with a "boost a battery" or jumper cables. Car started fine and was driven to current location. Now when you move the key slightly past the run position it makes a "click" (really sounds to me like electricity shorting to something)from what sounds like behind the dash on the drivers side. Security light does NOT come on. I believe that it is a relay that has gone out but am unsure of which relay or where it would be located.

The clicking sound is louder inside the car than outside. and is very pronounced up the the windshield in side the cabin.

Have had the car do this 2-3 other times, typically I just cleaned the key off and tried to start it a couple times and it worked without issue.

I DO have HPTuners so if need be I can disable VATS however I do not believe this is the issue.

Any ideas?

Also are any relays related to starting the car inside the cabin?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might have a ground off, the starter itself, or the battery just might be bad....11v is pretty low
Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure its not the battery, even with another battery attached voltage was only a little higher, or with jumper cables. Lights and accessories are bright and fine. The car was started in 12F weather and drove to its current location, ~2 minutes after I arrived I went to move the car and thats when this all started. Voltage on the gauge was ~13.5-14v before I shut it off (in the same location its been for years).

The clicking noise happens before it tries to engauge the starter (it only clicks once, and comes from the drivers side it is not coming from the starter and is loudest inside the cab). The gauges do go to 0 like the usually do when you try to start the car, except for the volt meter. I do not see a power draw on the volt meter with the key all the way to start. Which leads me to believe whatever that 'click' is source of the problem not the battery.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe your starter.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Just took a volt meter to the battery when off 11.7V.

It is definitely not a "click" its more like a deep "wrhana" or gindyesk noise. It happens inside the cab for sure, sounds like from upper left corner of the firewall inside the cabin. Also the only guauges that move when trying to start are the fuel and the tach they drop to 0. The weird noise also happens when moving the key backwards from trying to start to the run position.