General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dodge Ram question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dodge Ram question?

My 97 Ram pick up has just started to act up and I'm not sure what it is. If I am driving it around town(low rpm's) and let my foot off of the gas to stop at a sign or light, the rpm's fall all the way down to around 100 or the engine quits. But I can get out on the highway or on a stretch of city road that is faster speeds it will act normal. I can start it up and it idels just fine. It only happens when i am driving or if I stop and move ahead a little(give it gas for a second) and then let off. Then it will almost die or it will quit. It seem to start doing this After I let the gas take run down to the point where it was almost empty. Normally I wont do this because it is so cold up here. I put two bottles of Iso Heet in it and that didn't help. I thought maybe the gas line had some water in it and it was freezing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

well dodges crap down after 100,000 miles so if your over that than that's usual
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Any idea what this would be? Today when I drove it to work it died when I was coming up to a stop light. When I went to restart it, it wouldn't start until I pushed on the gas a little bit. Then I could smell gas. Could this possibly be a fuel pressure regultor? There are no codes being thrown either.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes on my old RT dakota it was the idle air valve, located in the back of the throttle body, remove it and clean with a solvent or throttle body plate cleaner and u might as well clean the throttle blades to, and while ur doing it disconnect ur battery so that itll reset ur idle points, now it may hunt for idle for a few minutes but it will find the right idle!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 PM
LC
TECH Resident

I had this problem with some dodge vehicles...

'97 stratus i bought as a beater.. i got tired of the same exact problem.. it was even better when i turned the AC on... i thought.. well maybe the years have taken place..

bought a brand new '06.. after a few months.. SAME ****!!!! not as bad but sure was starting..

sold it quickly.. now that my z28 has become more of a track car i bought a megacab... a gas one.. which was the saddest mistake ever... anyway.. 5.7 Hemi..

Starting to do it... it will hesitate a bit on idle.. and go back to normal, every 20 or so seconds... annoying..

hell....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help. I will clean it and see what happens. Now if it just wasn't -5 degrees outside. I would do it tomorrow!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by juicedls1
Yes on my old RT dakota it was the idle air valve, located in the back of the throttle body, remove it and clean with a solvent or throttle body plate cleaner and u might as well clean the throttle blades to, and while ur doing it disconnect ur battery so that itll reset ur idle points, now it may hunt for idle for a few minutes but it will find the right idle!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Launching!

I will have to agree with the idle control valve sticking. I sure would not hurt to remove the TB and clean everything out. Let us know what you come up with. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
I will have to agree with the idle control valve sticking. I sure would not hurt to remove the TB and clean everything out. Let us know what you come up with. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Just a thought.
Depending on the year, all the newer dodges trucks(96-present) dont have servicable fuel filters, there in the fuel pump module!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Is the idle air valve easy to locate?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh Nickelsen
Is the idle air valve easy to locate?
Should be in the side or top of the throttle body.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's the crankshaft position sensor, its located on the pass. side behind the engine by the flywheel. a automatic trans truck sensor is 50 and a manual is 100 bucks. 2 bolts hold it down and the pigtail harness clips in by the cap n rotor. any car parts place has the automatics sensor and only dealers carry the sensors for 5spd trucks.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
it's the crankshaft position sensor, its located on the pass. side behind the engine by the flywheel. a automatic trans truck sensor is 50 and a manual is 100 bucks. 2 bolts hold it down and the pigtail harness clips in by the cap n rotor. any car parts place has the automatics sensor and only dealers carry the sensors for 5spd trucks.
Sounds a lot like the what my 96 Dodge did when the iac got stuck.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

I'm going to try and clean the iac tomorrow. If that doesn't help, I will do the crank sensor. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
i bought a megacab... a gas one.. which was the saddest mistake ever... anyway.. 5.7 Hemi..

hell....
You aint shittin! This damn hemis gas mileage is horrid. High 13's with 75% highway mileage. If I woulda known I woulda just spent the extra $100 a month for the diesel.