General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help testing my o2's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help testing my o2's...

Well on my 04 gtp i been getting a p0420 code so I figured I would take the rear o2 out and test it. I put it in a vise and put the propane torch to it and with the multi meter hooked up I could not get it to show any dc volts at all. I grounded the meter to the vise and o2 and still nothing. I dont know what im doin wrong but I need help. Can some one tell me were I need to put the ground exactly and exactly which color wires I need to be puttin my multimeter on out of the 4 on the sensor? I have tried everything and im starting to think my o2 is dead but I just want to check with yall first to see if im doin things right? Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man it sounds like your going through alot of hell just for one little sensor......o2s are really fragile and ive never heard of someone testing them like that.....your getting air to them when you have them in the vice, when there in the tube they are only getting exhaust, if they read unmetered air then your car would run like crap sooooo im not really seeing the point of you doing this.....
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

well every site on the net even autozone's site says to do it this way.. they say to hook it up and when propane is on it that it should read 1 volt and immediately when you turn the propane off that it should go to 0. Im just tryin to trouble shoot my problem the best I can. Im thinking my o2 is dead its not putting out no volts. But since its on the rear (behind cat) my car still runs fine. Any one else?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats the thing though...you dont need the rears
Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by staringback05
thats the thing though...you dont need the rears
Unless the car has O2 sims installed or the 'puter has been tuned not to recognize the O2's, then that statement is not necessarily true. If you have not already, read up on the info on this LINK
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks...Im just tryin to get my car were it will pass inspection with flyin colors...