General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering popped a hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering popped a hose

Hey guys, My power steering just popped a hose out of it's fitting and drained all my power steering fluid.

The fitting is easily fixed, BUT all I have laying around to refill the reservoir is Valvoline synthetic and about a third of a bottle of Lucas Oil Power Steering additive.

Just to limp the car to the nearest auto store, is it OK to use the synthetic fluid? Or am I riding my bicycle to the dealership Monday morning?
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

i was told you could use tranny fluid as well, but ive not heard that elsewhere. which hose popped? i just had to replace the pressure hose and that was a giant pain.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Well, actually it's on my GTO. I wish I could tell you which hose, but it eads just to the passenger side of the radiator as the hose turns to a metal elbow and goes into the bumper at the foglight.

I've been told the same about the tranny fluid, but unless it's verified by someone using it, I'll put it down as heresay.

Now the Valvoline fluid I have is compatible with GM fluids, but I've heard that using synthetic could stress out the steering pump....I wish I knew.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Launching!

OK update. Everythings running fine again.

The reservoir is now filled with ATM fluid.

I do believe that the PS pump is probably pretty well damaged by this ordeal. It's whisper quite when cruising, but as soon as I turn, it makes a very, very loud squealing noise.

I'll probably have to replace it in the next couple of months. Does GM have a reconditioned parts program like Ford?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its most likely the pressure hose. And yeah you can use ATF in it, although i use synthentic PS fluid in mine but I use ATF in my ford taurus and it made it real quiet.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

its possibly just air in the line making it make noise while working a little harder.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Launching!

I hope that's all. But now I'm going be paranoid as Hell that the hose will pop off again.

I have a complete tool kit and three quarts of fluid in the trunk now