General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fixed my miss at idle and ticking.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my miss at idle and ticking.....

Developed a miss at idle and a ticking on my 2000 SS and it steadily got worse over the weekend. Turned out to be a plug wire had a tear in it and was arcing to the egr/header connection. Fixed that, fired the car up and i'm still getting a missfire with a louder ticking, after an hour or so I found that the wire harness running to coilpack on the same cylinder was arcing from the pink wire to the heat insulation below. The wire had a small tear in it, wrapped with electrical tape till I can find a better way to fix it and that took care of things. Seems to have taken care of my ticking also. Hope this can help someone with similar problems.

pat

2000 SS, A4, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, MTI lid.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to bad you didnt post this a mon ago, i had to have my sd tune taken out 02s turned back on and hooked up to a tech II to find the same problem
Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LowSS
Developed a miss at idle and a ticking on my 2000 SS and it steadily got worse over the weekend. Turned out to be a plug wire had a tear in it and was arcing to the egr/header connection. Fixed that, fired the car up and i'm still getting a missfire with a louder ticking, after an hour or so I found that the wire harness running to coilpack on the same cylinder was arcing from the pink wire to the heat insulation below. The wire had a small tear in it, wrapped with electrical tape till I can find a better way to fix it and that took care of things. Seems to have taken care of my ticking also. Hope this can help someone with similar problems.

pat

2000 SS, A4, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, MTI lid.
Good fix! Plugs/wires should always be the first thing to check. And you were on your game to catch the shorted wire.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:54 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've swapped wires/plugs at least 5 times hoping to fix the same problem every time, but it's never worked. I REALLY don't want to buy a new set of coil packs, but I guess I have no choice at this point.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just find the problem pack....
Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 AM
SPL
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem but my cause was a spark plug coming unthreaded a little bit. The tick was very loud. I thought it was an exhaust leak.