General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hears a good 1 for ya.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hears a good 1 for ya.....

im actually stumped as hell on this....

i pulled my air pump few weeks ago...ALL of it...

and i started getting a ticking sound from the drivers front of the car....ONLY when in drive and when im pushing the gas....

NO ticking while in neutral/park...so i thought it was the TC...NOPE, just rebuilt my A4 two days ago...and it shifts like a rock now...but thats a story for another time

the ticking almost sounds like a injector but its very loud, to where i can hear it over my cutout....also if i power break the car in drive....there is no ticking....SOOOOO this IMO rules out in internal engine problem...

my guess would be something in the front suspension or wheel hub...BUT why would it not make the sound when im just rolling along not hitting the gas?!?...

lets see who can come up with some good answers....
Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

So this started immeaditly after you pulled the AIR system? If so, the first thing I'd look at would be the block-off plates/gaskets you used on the manifolds/headers.

A small exhaust leak can often be heard only under load (i.e. giving it gas in gear). Free revving will not always produce the tick. As for not hearing it while power braking, this is still not quite the same type of load the motor is under when the car is accelerating in gear. I can tell you from experiance, that a minor exhaust leak will sometimes only be heard under acceleration and not even while power braking. I've been though that before on my 3rd gen.

Have you changed spark plugs recently? If a plug came a little loose, it'll tick usually only under the sort of load that you've described.

One thing I can tell you for sure, if the sound goes away when you're coasting and comes back only under acceleration, it doesn't sound like a suspension issue to me.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

me neither, i havent changed the plugs in a while...but there iridiums so i havent needed to...

the block off plates had gaskets and were tightened down pretty good...but for the hell of it i might just make another set and put them on...see if theres a difference....

i had one of my friends who's a mechanic at mazda (i know its mazda)...ride around with me and he couldnt figure it out either...

its hard to pin point considering the gas has to be being pushed AND the car has to be moving....
Old 03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
its hard to pin point considering the gas has to be being pushed AND the car has to be moving....
I had a similar issue with my '89 Formula. I had replaced the cat and the outlet pipe on the new one was just a tad too big. I tried to crimp it down with a standard "U" type clamp, but that wasn't strong enough and still allowed a small leak. Eventually I found a much stronger type of U clamp and crimp-sealed that bastard once and for all!

Just like yours, I could only hear the leak under acceleration. Free revving, power braking, etc., did not reproduce the sound.

My line of thinking is, since this happened right after you pulled the AIR system, it most likely has something to do with that. So I'd start by rechecking the blockoff plates and gaskets, make sure they are seated and sealing properly and such,....
Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

im pretty sure its the block off plate....im gonna get some jb weld tommorrow
Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

jb weld FTW...thats all i gotta say
Old 03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
jb weld FTW...thats all i gotta say
Will you still be able to remove it?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

the gasket piece was some how stuck on the AIR pipe and when i put the blockoff plate on it wasnt flush....soooo i jb welded the plate on...no noise anymore....

Quick Reply: Hears a good 1 for ya.....