General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Change w/Lucas & Seafoam Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change w/Lucas & Seafoam Question

Does the following seem like a decent practice or does anyone else follow the same practice I do, have any suggestions? (No oil preference input please)

I haven't heard much or found much by way of search on Lucas Oil Additive on here, so I would like to hear your thoughts on the product.

My practice is to change the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles, using 1/2 to 2/3s of a can of Seafoam in the crankcase the last 100 miles before I change the oil. I use a Wix filter, 5 quarts Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic, and 1 quart of Lucas synthetic oil additive (many mechanics and racers I know swear by this stuff). This puts my oil level right at the full mark. I also use one can of Seafoam on every 3rd fillup of gas, and run only 91-92 octane.

My opinion is that the cleaner the engine and fuel system are inside and out, the better it performs in power output, milage, longevity, etc...

I get great milage for pushing almost 500 rwhp and 4:30 gears (27 to 28mpg @ 70mph in 6th gear with cruise control on the highway), oil pressure is always steady, never have a problem with oil burning or use, or any other problems related to fuel, oil, drivability, racing, etc....

Again, anyone else follow this same practice or have suggestions to what I do? Experiences with Lucas Oil Additive?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Do a search on www.bobistheoilguy.com for the Lucas stuff. I would not use it after reading some info on there.
BTW, here is my standard disclaimer for that site;
"BITOG is an exemplary site for info on motor oils and lube technology in general, but if you own a GM/domestic ride, and even more so if you like/love that ride, be prepared to defend it (or duck) on that site. We are WAAAYYYY outnumbered on there by the TOY worshipping, GM/domestic lambasting BASHERS!!" disclaimer/rant off
Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...

Interesting, thanks for the direction to the site, it does make me reconsider the thought of using Lucas Oil Additive. What are your thoughts on the use of Seafoam to clean the inside of the engine every oil change, as well as every 3rd fill up? I know the stuff is good, however is the frequency of use too often?

Last edited by Nedermeyer; 03-11-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know since I've never used Seafoam for that purpose. It does seem a little harsh for use in the crankcase. If you don't get most of it out, it will dilute/help shear down your oil's viscosity, TBN, etc. If you search on BITOG, you will see that most people agree with the use of stuff called Auto RX for that purpose, but it is a longer, multi-step process, not a simple pour in, drive and drain. This is also why most on there say to not do any of this unless you've determined it is ABSOLUTELY necessary (i.e.; sludge, varnish, clogged oil passages, etc.).