General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil pressure drops like a bat outta he11

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default oil pressure drops like a bat outta he11

so my car has about 90k on it now, and for some reason within the last 5k miles the oil pressure has gotten to my attention. lately when i start the car the pressure is somewhat normal and high...but after about 15 minutes of driving or when it gets warm the pressure gets low. and when i stop at a light it just completely drops like a bat outta hell to red or 0. WTF?

i've had a guy said that i should put some heavy weight oil in it and just run it.

this motor really only needs to last about 5k more because of the motor swap i'm doing but honestly i'd like to fix the problem the right way but honestly i have NO clue what is going on...anybody have any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now...here's something to help determine the problem....

1. does the car act boggy, make noise or any other general thing when the psi drops that low?
2. have you checked the pan? do you have metal?

if no to both look into your sending unit....if yes to either...dun dun dun....spun bearing ftw....with a spun bearing the car will still drive....
Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by staringback05
now...here's something to help determine the problem....

1. does the car act boggy, make noise or any other general thing when the psi drops that low?
2. have you checked the pan? do you have metal?

if no to both look into your sending unit....if yes to either...dun dun dun....spun bearing ftw....with a spun bearing the car will still drive....
after the motor has gotten warm and the pressure drops, no, i do not really hear anything out of the ordinary, but then again i don't let it sit on 0 for too long. lol

you also said bog, and yeah after sitting at a light and when i start to move it kinda sputters and farts...BUT this doesn't happen all the time. every now and then, but usually goes away with the more gas i give it...

i haven't checked the oil pan either. i will be installing an oil temperature sensor soon, and i'm going to drop/clean and drill the hole for it and what not so when i do that i will be able to look.

i'm still so befuttled...
Old 03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i will say this....check your sending unit....if it seems operational....you might want to look into a new pump, when you drop your pan check and see if you have any shavings or metal...if not...all youll need is that new pump....if sooooo you might have a bearing issue.....cool?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by staringback05
well i will say this....check your sending unit....if it seems operational....you might want to look into a new pump, when you drop your pan check and see if you have any shavings or metal...if not...all youll need is that new pump....if sooooo you might have a bearing issue.....cool?
will do. i appreciate the help man.