General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Y-pipe hitting tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Y-pipe hitting tunnel

I've tried everything bump stop,transmission mount and prying it downwards but everytime i do that by putting a breakerbar behind it and wedging it against the ground (gains about an inch clearance) it's about a cm off the bolt hole for the y-pipe hanger!
i can post pics, i can't even get my little finger between the the end of the tunnel & merge collector!
Is there a hanger that drops lower than the stock one? I hear of y-pipes hitting the floor all the time but no suggestions to stop it hitting the tunnel.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had that problem with my last LS1 I wedged pieces of radiator hose between the spots it was banging. No, they never melted! Sometimes they would shake loose and Id have to jam another piece in. Thats just a temp fix so you can enjoy your car without the annoying bang. I always had an *** load of cut up radiator hose wedges in my trunk.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the headers are pointing your y pipe up toward the body so that the y hits the tunnel?

Is this with ORs or cats?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With cats had the original SLP cats swapped for Random Tech cats because i bottom'd out on a road hump & scraped a hole in one, so i don't know if these are a little longer & they're pushing the pipe back! if i undo the hanger bolt there is clearance, unless there's someway of adjusting the hanger by maybe drilling the bolt hole downwards?