General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2 Code Question: Do bacnks go left to right or front to back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Code Question: Do bacnks go left to right or front to back?

Which bank is the front and which is the back. Or, do the banks go from left to right? I have LT headers with no tune and no sims. So, that means the back two O2 sensors are going to be bad, right? But, the front should still be good unless the don't work.

P0134 (No activity; Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0134 (CKT No Activiy; Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0155 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction; Bank 2, Sensor 1)

Do I need to change the damn things, or did I get my wires crossed, or are the two that are reading bad the back ones and thus are fine.

I wish the damn, ****, bitch mother ****** would say "Front Driver's" or "Back Passenger's."
Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bank 1 sensor 1 would be front driver side, Bank 2 sensor 2 would be rear pass side.

Basically the pcm is complaining about both of your fronts.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

You have all my answers today!

But, it's not complaining about my back sensors? Isn't that a bad thing? Oh boy, does that mean I got my 02 wires switched around?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah, those codes aren't mentioning the rears, just both fronts. How would you have gotten the wires mixed up? Did you make your own extensions? If so maybe there's something wrong with those. It's also possible your fronts just got screwed. Seems pretty common for people to complain about going through o2's pretty quickly with lt's until they get a tune. It's not a guarantee, but I guess a lot of people run a little more rich once they get lt's before a tune, and that's what does it.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

OK. I didn't put my headers on, but now I wish I did.

I called the guy, and he said if he remembered correctly, I had no places for front O2 sensors. He said I only had back ones. I said that even if that were the case, all four should then read bad because the back ones only check for the (now nonexistant) cat converter. He couldn't remember, but he said that the front O2 wires wouldn't have been long enough to have went to the collectors. That's when I said that I had extensions. He couldn't remember.

So, I just went outside and looked. I only have two O2 sensors like he said. But, I don't know if the car is reading them as front or as back ones. But it wouldn't matter, because if he hooked them up as back ones, then I'm still back to having four bad O2s, right?! Fronts are bad cause they're not there and the back ones are bad cause there are no cats. Or, if he did use the extensions and hooked them up as fronts, then they really are bad but I should have bad back codes.

Can someone help me out. Gah, this sucks so bad.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Teching In

your front O2 sensors Bank1Sensor1 and Bank2Sensor1 should be in the collector, that is what the extensions are for. The rear sensors Bank1Sensor2 and Bank2Sensor2 should have either O2 simms installed or have your pcm tuned to delete the rear O2's. Either way your front O2 sensors need to be in the collector.

jason
Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like "your guy" doesnt know what hes talking about. The front o2 sensors go in the header collector. With LT headers, it moves the location of the front o2's back about 15-20 inches, so you need extensions for the front o2's. The rear o2's almost always go in the y-pipe after the cat's. If you have an off-road y-pipe, then you wont have a place for the rear o2's.

As said above:
bank 1 sensor 1 = driver front (pre-cat)
bank 1 sensor 2 = driver rear (post-cat)
bank 2 sensor 1 = pass. front (pre-cat)
bank 2 sensor 2 = pass rear (post-cat)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys.

All things considered, I'd say he does remember what he did: installed the back O2's in the collectors with no fonrts. That'd suck big time because I had extensions.

However, if that were the case, wouldn't the back O2's still read bad?!!?!

I'm thinking about replacing one of the O2's just to see if there's a change, you know? Because, if i change it, and it reads good, then he used the extensions and put tthe fronts in the colectors like they should be. Still, i would think the back ones would read bad as there are no cats. Grrr!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

If he did install it right with the front o2's in the collector using the extensions. Then the rear o2's have nowhere to go and will give you some real bad readings, so you either buy some 02 simms, or have your pcm tuned to delete the rear o2's.

If it were me id just buy some o2 simms and be done with it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Dude, my rear O2 sensors read GOOD!!! Not bad! NO rear O2 codes are thrown. That's the whole point of this thread! Only my fronts read bad. I have no cats and no sims and don't care about the light. But, my rear O2's throw NO codes. Only my front ones throw codes (see first post).

!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

OK. i just called my local small-town shop. They are going to let me use their lift tomorrow after lunch and help me trace the wires to see if I have the front O2 sensors plugged in or the back ones.

If the front ones are pluged in (God I hope), then they neeed changed and I'm all set as i have two new Bosh 13111's. Who cares why the back ones don't throw codes. I have better mysteries to ponder.

If the back ones are pluged in, as I think they are, then I need to buy new extensions and plug them in to the front. Again, I don't care why the back O2's throw no codes while breathing air straight out of the LT headers.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Got it up on the lift. Looks like there was extensions added to the O2 sensors. So, they are probably the fronts.

Only could find one harness for the rear O2's, though. What's up with that? Did 99s only have one? Still I wonder why the rear O2(s) throw no codes. Looks like I'm going to try to change them out and have it rescanned. Will My CE light shut off right after i change the and start the car?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Dang it, I was hoping someone would have answered at least that last question. I guess no one is reading this thread any more. Oh well.

I just changed the driver's side. The Bosch 13111 pluged right in to the harness, so I guess that means it has to be a front that was in the collector.

I then decided I would go have it scaned tomorrow without changing the other. If the driver's side O2 throws no codes, then I'll celebrate and change the other. If it does still throws codes, that's going to suck so, so bad. I guess it'd be wires in that case. I don't know.

Here's hoping that the driver's O2 throws no codes!!! Please, please, please, Lord let it be good!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could understand this thread enough to help
Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

It's the thought that counts, man.

Just had it scanned!!! It didn't throw a code!!!

That almost certainly means they really are, or "were" in the case of the driver's, bad front O2 sensors! Yay!

So, I have to change the other one and hopefully, that will be the end of my bad O2 problems!

Still, I wonder why the back O2(s) don't throw codes. Not there and even if they were there's no cats. Not that I care at this point! I just want to change that other one and have a car that runs at the right A/F mix, or as close as possible without a tune.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Uh, oh. I just looked up at my codes and noticed something. I had one less code then before, so I thought that was the one. AutoZone didn't know outside which bank was throwing the code, but it was a 134... Only bank 1 threw a 134.

My old codes:
P0134 (No activity; Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0134 (CKT No Activiy; Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0155 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction; Bank 2, Sensor 1)

I didn't throw a 155 this time... but that's the passenger O2, right?!?! I changed the driver's side!!! So, I wonder if they are swapped?! Gah, this is so stupid. If I had a motherfucking lift and a scanner, this would be a piece of cake. MOTHER ****!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Just went back. Bank 1 throws codes, Bank 2 doesn't. So, the wires are probably crossed. When I change the other O2, I'll change the wires and get them back on the correct sides.

Probably my last post in this thread, but I'm going to start another asking about the rear O2(s).

EDIT: Editing this post because i don't want it to bump the thread.

I changed my pass. side O2 and took her out and got on her hard core with the cut-outs wide open. Didn't buck/miss/detonate or whatever it was doing before, so it probably took care of my problem. Also, I got on it in third all the way to 5K and suddenly let off with no "pop! pop! pow!" in the exhaust, which was a surprise. But, it didn't always do either of those so I don't know for sure yet. I'll drive her hard for the next few days.

Too late to have it scanned and I won't be driving her tomorrow, so it might not be until late until I get it scanned again, but I doubt it will throw any O2 codes (even rear ones for some reason).

As for them being swapped, I don't know how they could be considering I connected the extra-long Bosch 13111 on the pass. side directly to the stock harness and got rid of the extension... I would think that would have to be the pass. side harness as it is on that side of the engine, you know?! But, it's strange that when I changed the driver's side -- which is supposed to be Bank 1 Sensor 1 I'm told --the Bank 2 sensor 1 stopped throwing codes.

Last edited by Sharpe; 03-28-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no gaurentee when doing anything, each and every car will have a different reaction to mods and troubleshooting solutions