General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak!

Ok, clacking noise when car started, shut off immediately. Check for oil, seems to be a little bit low, go ahead and pour some in, go inside for a few minutes, come back out to check on things, puddle in my driveway. Seems to be coming from the area of the oil filter. Oil filter is on tight haven't taken it off yet as oil is still leaking out as i write this. I jacked the car up from the passenger side to be able to get underneath it better and more oil started leaking out faster. Any ideas of where the leak can be coming from?
Car had not been run for about 2 months because I was using another car and there were ice and snow storms a couple times, leaving the car glacierized for a couple of days.

I just found a piece of thread housing underneath the car, i took pictures, give me a minute to post them up, need to find usb cable

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak!-thread.jpg  

Last edited by simmeth; 03-25-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

!!!!! UPDATES !!!!!

and

Here are new pictures, I found the oil leak, it was right behind the oil filter as you can see in the picture. It looks like it just broke apart somehow right there and popped out. Some probably fell inside the oil pan as well. Anyway... suggestions anyone? How the hell does this just happen? What would be my best course of action now... repair or replacement?
Attached Thumbnails Oil Leak!-fullhole.jpg  

Last edited by simmeth; 03-25-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you should pull the pan to be sure all the metal peices are picked up and might as well replace the gasket while its off. That could have resulted in to much pressure in the oil system or faulty oil pump.