General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunk noise on drivers side shock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk noise on drivers side shock

It started making this noise today, everytime I push down on that side it makes a clunk clunk clunk, what do you think its is?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shock itself, upper or lower balljoint, upper or lower control arm bushings, maybe even tierod end but probably not so much on up and down movement.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that years ago. I found the shock top bolt/stud became loose. I would pull the interior panel off and retighten. It worked for me.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

my dad said its probably the balljoints, the car has 79400 miles on it. How can I really know what it is?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
my dad said its probably the balljoints, the car has 79400 miles on it. How can I really know what it is?
Jack it up by the body jack points so the suspension is hanging freely on that side. Use a jackstand if you can. Use common sense, you can make the car fall on you if you do this halfassed.

Once you have it in the air, grab the front wheel on the side with the clunking and see how you can move it. Up and down, side to side. Look at how you're able to move it, and then while you're moving it, look at the suspension components nearby and see which one has the play in it. You should be able to see where the movement is coming from. If you move it around hard enough, you'll probably hear the clunking also. Left to right(front to back) movement is usually the tierod end, up and down movement is usually a balljoint, could possibly be control arm bushing also. A LITTLE play is ok and pretty normal on suspension components with some miles on them, but if it flops around something is busted.

If you don't think you can get the car up safely, just take it somewhere. Saving a couple hundred on a balljoint replacement isn't worth a crushed torso.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did that on the driver side front. When I lowered the car 1" I put new shocks on and the problem went away... So, I bet its your shock/strut.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Jack it up by the body jack points so the suspension is hanging freely on that side. Use a jackstand if you can. Use common sense, you can make the car fall on you if you do this halfassed.

Once you have it in the air, grab the front wheel on the side with the clunking and see how you can move it. Up and down, side to side. Look at how you're able to move it, and then while you're moving it, look at the suspension components nearby and see which one has the play in it. You should be able to see where the movement is coming from. If you move it around hard enough, you'll probably hear the clunking also. Left to right(front to back) movement is usually the tierod end, up and down movement is usually a balljoint, could possibly be control arm bushing also. A LITTLE play is ok and pretty normal on suspension components with some miles on them, but if it flops around something is busted.

If you don't think you can get the car up safely, just take it somewhere. Saving a couple hundred on a balljoint replacement isn't worth a crushed torso.
I'll try that tommorow, thanks. Btw how hard is it to change one of these if it is busted? My dad's bitching at me to take it to Pontiac, but who knows how much they'll charge.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tierod end is easy as long as you have a pickle fork. I've never tried a balljoint, but it looks like it could be a pita from what I've read.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

My dad said it could be dangerous if I leave it unnatended. Is this true? Something about the wheel ****** up?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad said it could be dangerous if I leave it unnatended. Is this true? Something about the wheel ****** up?
Well if it finally breaks apart while you're driving you could lose control. Would probably suck if you were on the highway when that happened.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

great
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

great
Yeah, I mean that's worst case, but you probably should take care of it before too long.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Mine did that on the driver side front. When I lowered the car 1" I put new shocks on and the problem went away... So, I bet its your shock/strut.

It's really hard to diagnose something like that. It could be any number of things as previously said. Don't go ordering shocks until you check everything out. Mine did that and it turned out to be the same thing 03 BUSA's did, but in the front.