General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whirring sound, please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whirring sound, please help

We'll I've done about a million searched for whirring noises, but can't seem to relate any of them. I have a 99 WS6 with an M6. I bought the car about 2 years ago, it is my daily driver but it doesn't see a lot of miles because I work out of state typically and I fly to my jobs. I've only put about 12k miles on it since I purchased it but this noise has been there as long as I can remember. Okay away from the biography of my car and onto the problem:

At about any speed a whirring noise can be heard coming from my car but I can't narrow it down to any specific part, except that I'm pretty certain its *not*coming from the engine comparment. I just had the clutch / fly wheel / and throw out bearing replaced about 2 weeks ago, my rear diff has been serviced twice under warranty, I don't recall exactly all that was done inside there and I'm very novice when it comes to the rear end. I've replaced my rotors and I have brand new tires. I dont hear the noise when stopped, and the noise is louder at slower speeds but thats prob just because of the reduced road noise at lower speeds. Also I'm not sure if it's related but when down shifting to 2nd gear (without meeting the proper revs)I can hear a whirring noise for a few seconds before the car allows me to enter 2nd gear. The whirring noise I'm speaking of I can hear in any gear though so I don't think they are related. Any suggestions would be very helfpul.

Last edited by Jeresous; 04-08-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: made a mistake on post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

rear axle bearings
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Anything else I can do to diagnose this or does anyone else think this could be it? I should also include that this sound occurs regardless of an engaged or disengaged clutch and in or out of gear.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something in your rear, pinion bearing, carrier bearing, axle bearing.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll get it checked out tomorrow, it's still under warranty for 2 months. I've got a 5 hour drive wednesday, just hope they can get it back in time. Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:30 AM

its probably just your fuel pump its in the rear.