General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Batteries: Deep Cycle or Regular.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries: Deep Cycle or Regular.

I am in need of a new battery. The 01 WS-6 is not starting without charging the battery first. It is the original battery with about 20,000 km (about 12,000 miles) on it. It looks like new but doesn't hold a charge. Some of the guys in the car club (Mainstreet Cruisers) have talked about battery problems in low milers. They are split into two camps, some say use a deep cycle batteries, others say use a regular battery. The deep cycle camp says that even though there are less cranking amps in deep cycle they last longer went they sit un-used. The regular camp say they rather have the extra cranking amps but realize the life of the battery maybe shorter due to the time they sit un-used.
I had contacted GM when I first bought the WS-6 and ask about long term storage recommendations. They said take the battery out if you do not run the car for 30 days or run the car at less than 30 days to charge the battery. At first I ran the car every three weeks (21 days) for 15 minutes After two years I noticed the car felt like the battery was starting to go. After that I started running the car every two weeks (14 days) but this year that didn't work. The 01 Firehawk was OK (9600 km or 6000 km) with the same battery but the WS-6 needed a charge.
What is the opinion here: Deep cycle or Regular?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually the deep cycle and regular battery arguments are backwards. Something like a red top optima will last longer sitting in the car than the yellow top. Red tops are made to last while the yellow tops (deep cycle) are just made for longer reserve capacity and use at one time.

I'd say go with red top optima and invest in one of those battery rechargers that you attach to the battery for storage.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense to me. I'll have to watch for a sale on the Optima batteries.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get them online for like $100 USD. I got mine at Costco because I like the convenience of being able to take it in for replacement and not having to pay shipping and have my car down waiting for a replacement. I paid $140 USD for my red top.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a battery trickle charger at Wallyworld for less than $20. It keeps the battery charged for me and is painless to use.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I'll have to check Costco out, I think the red top runs around $175 Canadian the last time I checked.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98redM6
Actually the deep cycle and regular battery arguments are backwards. Something like a red top optima will last longer sitting in the car than the yellow top. Red tops are made to last while the yellow tops (deep cycle) are just made for longer reserve capacity and use at one time.

I'd say go with red top optima and invest in one of those battery rechargers that you attach to the battery for storage.
Go with the Red top Optima they last forever
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 5301113
Go with the Red top Optima they last forever
....excellent batteries