General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

diagnose my squeek/grind..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default diagnose my squeek/grind..

Whenever im making a right turn.. the faster im going and harder i turn the louder it gets, i know its coming from the back left of the car and it sounds almost like brake squeal but i know its not... I just changed pads a couple months ago and it happened a couple weeks after that but it doesnt squeek when im braking normally however it im turning right and braking, its worse its louder than normal..

Couple it possibly be the caliper? Im hoping its not related to the rear end because i dont have that kind of money now and its definately coming from the wheel well area..
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might be the axle bearing on that side.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

is that a PITA to fix.. expensive?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
is that a PITA to fix.. expensive?
Not too bad really if you can rent a slidehammer. Hardest part is messing with the c-clip to get the axle out. Just have to remove the wheel, the caliper, rear cover, then rotate the diff so you can pull the pin and get to the c-clip. Then you can yank the axle and slidehammer out the old seal and bearing.

That being said, I've never tried myself to sliderhammer out one of the bearings so I'm not really sure how good they're in there.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

but wouldnt the bearing then be almost in the housing of the rear not towards the wheel?? it distinctively sounds like its coming from the wheel?.. i think ill take the wheel and caliper off is there anything i should look for that could cause it out there.. maybe something needs greased?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
but wouldnt the bearing then be almost in the housing of the rear not towards the wheel?? it distinctively sounds like its coming from the wheel?.. i think ill take the wheel and caliper off is there anything i should look for that could cause it out there.. maybe something needs greased?
There's a bearing right behind the hub in the axle tube. That's the one I'm talking about. The other bearings are your carrier bearings, which are on the carrier itself inside the rear cover.