General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plug wire replacement....mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wire replacement....mileage?

So I have this issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have an 01 WS6 TA M6 and at higher rpms WOT (4500-5000) I get what sounds like spark pinging/knock? Sometimes I get a slight hestitation at around 3000 when I am just getting on it. I have taken it to the dealership numerous times only to get nothing. One time they thought it was the baffles in one of the catalytic converters. They replaced that and still the sound prevails. I have noticed that it only does it on warm days when the engine is warm. I have tried different octane fuels (high and low) with and without boosters. Still the same obnoxious sound. Had the fuel filter replaced, but nothing done with fuel rails or injectors. Someone told me that it may be the plug wires need replacing. Would this be indicated with a check engine light? I have 30,000 miles on the car. I drive it hard when I drive it as it is my toy and not a daily daily driver. But I don't kill it like some idiot. I have no real modifications other than some minor bolt ons. I would love to get this resolved because it makes the car sound like it is a piece of **** and that it is falling apart. Thanks a bunch for the help as I am at my wits end with this problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mileage a set of stock plug wires are good for is like 60k or more. now if one has to high of an resitance it could cause a some hesitation or a miss. the best thing to do is change your plugs. when you have the plug wires off take a digital multi meter and measure the ohms. the amount of resitance of the plug wire. if there is one or two plug wires that are way high that can cause similar problem to what your having. if you take my advice all the stock wires that ive seen been problematic had a restance of way more than 400 ohms. im not saying that a plug wire will be bad with over 400 ohms just that with the super short plug wires ls based engines have all seem to be around 300 ohms. good luck

Last edited by 2000badbird; 04-23-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the first things to check if you're getting pinging is the mass airflow sensor, it may need to be cleaned. This is especially true if you use a K&N or similar filter that needs oil, it can get on the MAF ends.