General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! Battery doesnt hold the charge!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
SS7
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Battery doesnt hold the charge!

Hi all.

I have the problem with starting up the car. I bought a new energizer battery about last september.

Around two month ago I tried starting it, dead... I asked my buddy for a boost, started after about 5 cranks. So then week later it died. Then same thing happened again... Now just yesterday, I got boost from my friend, it took at LEAST 15 cranks, and car was making some loud clicking/clunking sounds, we had to leave it connected to his car for about 10 minutes before it started. Once I got it running battery gauge went to a little over than half. I let it run for 15 minutes and shut it down, the started on my own couple times to make sure it starts, disconnected the battery thought it would hold charge for a while. Now today returned back and discovered that there was barely enough power to keep the interior lights on for 2 minutes

Anyone has idea what the problem is? Can alternator just go bad for no reason? Or is it something else I dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the bunny quit - I'd bring it back to where you bought it and have it load tested free, eliminate the battery as being the problem first. Most have 36 month free replacement warranty.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That battery is probably already toast after that many times being drained. Get your altenator off the car and have it tested. More then likely that's your problem. Sucks now b/c you have to buy a new battery on top of the altenator.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
SS7
Teching In

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

You think it could be my alternator? I doubt its battery, because thats why I replaced my last one because of same reason and it just kept happening, but before it used to stay for week or so and still start up with a little struggle. I just didnt think my alternator could go bad like that for no reason.

To get alternator off, Ill just have to release the belt with pulley tensioner and unscrew it from the bracket right?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the battery was "a little over than half" when started I'd do a load test first.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
SS7
Teching In

Thanks man, Ill sure test the battery first, because its the easiest, will try get it done by this weekend.

Also just a thought, if my alternator was out. Then when I started the car, it couldnt just run for 15 minutes just off the battery juice?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly doubt its the alternator if you can jumpstart it and shut it off and it starts back up. Sounds more like either the battery is just bad or you have something drawing power off the battery constantly.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea keep thinking that and then when he buys a brand new battery and 1-2 months down the road, he'll be back to the same place he is now. Nice advice.

Take the altenator off and get it tested. Don't keep buying new batteries trying to cover up another problem. The reason why it's fine in the beginning is b/c it's new and can handle it but if the altenator isn't working, that battery isn't going to last long. And before you know it, it's completely drained and will never be able to hold a true charge again. Now you need a new battery again, and you still haven't fixed the correct problem.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excitor wire on the altenator....
Old 04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

If you continue having problems you might want to check the Positive battery cable. I was having fits with my car and thought it was the battery, cause it was the factory one. Bought a new battery and still had the problem. Determined it was the battery cable, so I replaced it and have had no problems since. Apparently the factory batteries leak down the cable causing corrosion. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Yea keep thinking that and then when he buys a brand new battery and 1-2 months down the road, he'll be back to the same place he is now. Nice advice.

Take the altenator off and get it tested. Don't keep buying new batteries trying to cover up another problem. The reason why it's fine in the beginning is b/c it's new and can handle it but if the altenator isn't working, that battery isn't going to last long. And before you know it, it's completely drained and will never be able to hold a true charge again. Now you need a new battery again, and you still haven't fixed the correct problem.
First off I didnt tell him to just buy a new battery and keep driving it.Second,if the alternator isnt charging you would be lucky to make it more then 4 hours before the new battery went dead.Third Im pretty dam sure I put in there that there could be a draw on the battery which would include checking the alternator and all other electrical componants.So sorry that I didnt spell it out in more detail for somebody like you.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
Sounds more like either the battery is just bad
Umm...that pretty much sounds like you're telling him it's the battery. If someone would have told me that, I would think I need a new battery and the problem is solved.

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
First off I didnt tell him to just buy a new battery and keep driving it.Second,if the alternator isnt charging you would be lucky to make it more then 4 hours before the new battery went dead.Third Im pretty dam sure I put in there that there could be a draw on the battery which would include checking the alternator and all other electrical componants.So sorry that I didnt spell it out in more detail for somebody like you.

As with the altenator...it is possible that a battery can last more then 4 hrs when the altenator is bad. How? B/c the altenator could still be charging just not at it's full capacity.

lol..I don't think I need it spelled out for me but thanks anyway. Sure he could start tracing an electrical problem to see what the culprit is which btw is good advice, but honestly wouldn't you rather just do the easy things first before you dive into something like that? Answer truthfully!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

The easy thing to me would be throwing the charger on the battery and checking the electrical system before I took the time to pull the alternator and then take it somewhere to be checked.If everything checked out fine I would then jump in the car, start it up and drive it to autozone and have them throw the charging system tester on it and do a load test on the battery and the alternator. With the description of the symptoms on this guys car[QUOTE]disconnected the battery thought it would hold charge for a while. Now today returned back and discovered that there was barely enough power to keep the interior lights on for 2 minutes[QUOTE] it probably is the battery but in no way did I ever say go out and just buy a battery and everything would be fine.With that being said I think we have hijacked this guys post enough.If you wish to discuss this further or have any other sarcastic remarks my PMs are open.