General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help replacing a starter (Not LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help replacing a starter (Not LS1)

My parents minivan, a 98 Voyager, will no longer start. It seems it was cranking, the engine began to turn over, but never started. So went to crank again and now nothing. You can still hear the relay clicking, and the starter solenoid clicking, so im assuming those are both still working. So got a replacement starter.... except I cant get the old starter out! Theres only two bolts that me, or anyone else thats looked, can see. Even the replacement starter only has two mounting points, so I dont think its being held up anywhere. But even with those 2 bolts out, the best I can do is get the starter to rock back and forth maybe 1/4". It feels like the gears are still meshed with the motor, and its not allowing the starter to pull out. This is my first time doing a starter, so its possible im missing something. Just wanted to see if there are any tips/ideas out there? And yeah, i tried the bfh already!

Last edited by 00CaliforniaZ28; 04-26-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

does it have an inspection cover that you can pull off on the tranny bellhousing? If so pull it off.that should give you plenty of room then
Old 05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont see one. The starter doesnt appear to be held up by anything more than being meshed with the engine. Is it safe to put some serious force into prying it off, or am I going to risk damaging the splines?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00CaliforniaZ28
My parents minivan, a 98 Voyager, will no longer start. It seems it was cranking, the engine began to turn over, but never started. So went to crank again and now nothing. You can still hear the relay clicking, and the starter solenoid clicking, so im assuming those are both still working.
Did you check the battery? Sounds like the battery died after so much cranking (clicks). If it was cranking, but not starting you'll have to check that also. I'd hate to see you go through all this trouble only to find out it was something else. You think this is bad try changing the spark plug closest to the alternator
Your parents are lucky.
P.S. Take the starter to an auto parts store to have them bench test it for free.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply! The van has trouble starting when its not parked on Level ground with low fuel, so thats why it was cranking for a bit... probably why the starter went out also im guessing. I tried jumping it first, thinking it was a low battery as well, but with no luck. Ive had 3 people try to get this thing out and we've made zero progress! I guess it likes its home and doesnt wanna leave! Oh well, I guess I might just have it towed somewhere, since I cant seem to get anywhere with it.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try putting it in neutral, taking the stress off the starter and un meshing the gears. set the emergency brake and chock the wheels before you get under it again.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive tried it in nuetral, drive, reverse... ive tried rolling the car back and forth... doesnt seem to be helping. Ive tried pulling the car on jackstands and spinning the wheels while someone tries to pull on the starter. Really everything I can think of? If I really put some effort into it with a pry bar, am I risking doing serious damage? Its really the only thing I havent tried it seems.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

idk, just dont bend the bellhousing. try beating it with a hammer before you pry on it. maby that will break it free.