General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny going?

So when I put my car (01WS6 just hit 28000 miles) into gear (A4) It makes a metallic ping sound which I can here from inside the car. Also when I going about 55 MPH and accelerate it makes a grinding sound. What could this be is my tranny going? Thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might just be the torque converter.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Might want to try the auto tranny section.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Drop the pan and see what the fuild looks like. My A4 made that same grinding sound if I stomped on the gas from 35mph to about 60mph. Not really a sound that you want to hear from a tranny. My clutches started to go about a week after the funny tranny sounds.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

I didnt have the noise while putting it in gear but I had the grinding noise and shuttering at around 55 or 60 after my converter locked. Turned out to be the lock up clutch going bad. I bought a new stall and flushed the tranny real good and its fine. I wouldnt drive it too much considering if it is just the converter and it grenades youll have to rebuild the entire tranny as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h8s2w8
I didnt have the noise while putting it in gear but I had the grinding noise and shuttering at around 55 or 60 after my converter locked. Turned out to be the lock up clutch going bad. I bought a new stall and flushed the tranny real good and its fine. I wouldnt drive it too much considering if it is just the converter and it grenades youll have to rebuild the entire tranny as well.
i had this same problem at 50 mph. it was like a griding through the console. turns out my exhaust was rubbing. it's all about frequency. the frequency at that speed is just right to get your exhaust to vibrate, so any tight clearances may be an issue. i got my exhaust readjusted and it never came back. it's also important to note that i put in a new aluminum driveshaft at the same time so it could have been that...but i personally think it was the exhaust as there was a spot on it where it had been rubbing.

btw, this did it the worst when it was wet outside.