General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking noise when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise when stopping

hey everyone i have a 2000 ws6 six speed that has a clunking noise when slowing under 20 mph and coming to a stop. the sound is like it is under the front half of the floorboard. in neutral with clutch in or out it makes the noise. seems like it is louder around corners. does anyone have any idea???it seems to make the noise as each tire does one rotation. the tranny mount is a energy suspenion and has an offroad y pipe. at 70 mph has a warp noise and gets worse the faster you go...put an ls6 clutch in 3 years ago. any ideas on the noises. thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a bad motor mount
Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that before, then BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tow truck. It was my rear end gears. They broke. This clunk noise while stopping and whining noise baffled me for 6 months, and when it happened, i couldn't tell if it was the tranny or engine. I just knew it wouldn't drive. after a lot of research, i found out that the ring gear was slowly moving away from the pinion due to the lack of enough shims being used, and it tore half the teeth off the pinion and ring gear. But thats just what happened to me.