General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Too much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil...

My 16 year old recently replaced the oil in his truck. He's helped me a few times in the past and I figured he'd be ok doing it by himself this time. However, I checked the oil today (about two weeks after the oil change) and noticed that the oil level is about an inch above the full line . I asked my son why this was and he said that he accidentally put too much in and was too lazy to drain a little out (and I guess he didn't think too much oil was bad). So are we looking at any major damage caused by the excessive oil?

TIA!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to put it in easy terms....itll stretch out some of the softer parts inside the motor....ESP. if he ran the motor hard....the oil pressure with to much oil can damage some internal seals, gaskets, and just the way things seat....

drain and properly fill, then listen for anything out of the oridinary
Old 05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can also break a crank shaft from to much oil from it smacking the oil and the force you could snap it.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

I was told that anything between 51/2 quarts to 6 quarts is fine. Was there more than 6 quarts added? Then again I do have the K&N oil filter...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Launching!

My wife had her oil changed at one of these jiffy lube places and they did the same thing. I started seeing a lot of oil on the driveway and it turned out that they had way overfilled the crankcase and it was blowing oil out one of the seals -- hard to tell on these GM front wheel drive cars as to which seal.

I lowered the oil level and used about 1 1/2 bottles of CD2 leak seal and that fixed it. It's been fine for the last 6 months. The oil change place denied all responsibility.

That was the last time I let her take the car there.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea never trust a jiffy lube lol.