General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fram oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

more taste........................................less filling!!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quickin, one person's experience is just that...one person's experience. Hardly the stuff of 100%, permanent, or-else, you-cannot-stray, one-size-fits-everybody edicts for everybody and every car in the world. One could easily say it is even MORE effective to change oil at 1000 miles or you are not being attentive enough.

You obviously are a horsepower god and have no need to learn any more about oil and change intervals than has been infused into you by your god like status. But if you should have a moment of weakness, please visit the oildropserver and call us back.

Sheesh.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weezzer
I love people that know everything yet really have no clue.
Truth is you have no idea without doing detailed testing and used oil analysis to know what is going on. I have my used oil tested and I'm up to 7000 miles between changes and still getting very good results. There are others going with even higher change intervals than this with the same results. You keep going by how you "feel" about your oil and keep paying all that extra money to change your oil - its fine by me.

BTW to the original poster, cut open that orange fram filter and show them the cardboard end caps inside the filter that are known to leak easily. This lets unfiltered oil circulate thru your engine.
Go to bobistheoilguy.com - there should be internal pictures of the fram filters there.
Look for yourself.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Quickin, one person's experience is just that...one person's experience. Hardly the stuff of 100%, permanent, or-else, you-cannot-stray, one-size-fits-everybody edicts for everybody and every car in the world. One could easily say it is even MORE effective to change oil at 1000 miles or you are not being attentive enough.

You obviously are a horsepower god and have no need to learn any more about oil and change intervals than has been infused into you by your god like status. But if you should have a moment of weakness, please visit the oildropserver and call us back.

Sheesh.
I also have MANY friends and people I just know through car clubs and gatherings, they also have stroker motors, turbos and SC'ers. Most don't get to 30,000 miles without major internal problems. They all use synthetic oil, do their little oil analysis, pay for K&N and Mobil 1 filters and probably keep print-outs of everything in a little folder labeled "My Oil Analysis",

It's not just my engine. Its 9 years being around LS1's and their owners and seeing what goes on with everyones set-ups. To include my friends 4 year old iron blocked 422 who's been spraying a 300 progressive shot on for almost 2 years, regular oil and AC Delco filters. Over 50,000 miles.

So gimmie a break, it's not just my engine.

I just choose not to subscribe to all the hype and BS, and my engine and MANY others (dozens) prove just that, its "HYPE and BS".

Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zoomer02
Here is the link that everyone is referring to about cutting up the different oil filters:

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Happy reading.
Thanks for posting the correct link, rather than someone else's incorrect link.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the stable this morning.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just picked up the mobil 1 fiter. The K&N was a dollor more.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Used them on many cars for many years, no problems. Like AC better.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
I also have MANY friends and people I just know through car clubs and gatherings, they also have stroker motors, turbos and SC'ers. Most don't get to 30,000 miles without major internal problems. They all use synthetic oil, do their little oil analysis, pay for K&N and Mobil 1 filters and probably keep print-outs of everything in a little folder labeled "My Oil Analysis",

It's not just my engine. Its 9 years being around LS1's and their owners and seeing what goes on with everyones set-ups. To include my friends 4 year old iron blocked 422 who's been spraying a 300 progressive shot on for almost 2 years, regular oil and AC Delco filters. Over 50,000 miles.

So gimmie a break, it's not just my engine.

I just choose not to subscribe to all the hype and BS, and my engine and MANY others (dozens) prove just that, its "HYPE and BS".
This may surprise you, but there are engines in the world that are not stroked, sc'd, or turboed. Since this is an LS1-centered site, I will go out on a limb and suggest the same is true for LS1s. And, since your entire automotive world appears to be centered around your stroker, I'd go even further out on a limb to say while you certainly can speak with experience about strokers your general oil knowledge is behind the curve.

The original question was about Fram filters (FFs). Some FFs have cardboard end caps. This is a fact. Many cars have gone over 200,000 miles on FFs. This is also a fact. However, a person CANNOT be wrong by going to a filter with steel end caps for the same price or less. This is basic automotive sensibleness.

Also for the same price or less you can get a filter with more total filter area. More filtering media for the same price or less. This is basic automotive sensibleness.

Continuing to buy FFs because you always have and won't admit to yourself or anybody else that you may be wrong and there ARE, in fact, better filters for the same price or less....well, that's not sensible.

About oil change intervals, it would be an easy thing to change oil at 3,000 for the lifetime of every car under any circumstance and in all probability the engine would last well over 100,000 miles. But is that optimum for you? Is that the best you can get out of your oil? Is that the most price-conscious decision for your young (and poor) family?

3,000 mile change intervals have been the norm for generations. It has been successful from the time of engines without filters to now, when computers run every aspect of your engine.

My wife's car doesn't have a trip over twelve miles whether the temp is -5* or 105*. Lot's of fuel dilution since it doesn't ever get warm enough to drive out the gas from the oil. I change every four months regardless of mileage. This is the right choice for me. How did I come to this maintenance plan? Via used oil analysis. I have confidence in my skills, don't trust old paradigms from decades past, and know what's best for my vehicles.

My V10 truck. 5w-20. Twice a year. Oil analysis shows good numbers, and I'm confident it will last until the body rusts out or I get in an accident.

My Camaro. I got some really good results with TrSUV M1 5w-40. But I'm trying lighter oils to see how my engine likes it. Miles and intervals will vary until I'm satisfied.

There's a guy on the site that everybody looks up to for oil information and guidance...Patman. He's getting really good numbers from his LS1 Corvette's analysis' at 8,000 mile change intervals with a synthetic oil.

Synthetic oils are not snake oil. They are useful, though expensive. Some people will only date gorgeous women. Some guys only want synthetic oil. Can you get the same basic results with a cheaper woman or a cheaper oil...Yes. Some can afford better, some can't, and some just want something that works.

In the end, you can't go wrong with 3,000 mile change intervals. Frams will do the job. But that's not the end of it. There's better. There's different. Some cars can routinely go 7,500 on Pennzoil Platinum, some can easily go 10,000 miles on Amsoil or GC. It just depends on your engine and your driving habits.

But it's all just guesswork unless you've gotten your used oil analyzed and think for yourself.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would never let my car go 5+k miles in bewteen oil changes. A Full Synthetic and filter is under $30, so why risk it? Dont be cheap, change yur oil every 3k miles or 3 months
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

On most of Mercedes-Benz AMG engines, they go 10,000 to 13,000 miles between oil changes. Some of these engines go over $50,000. But I don't own any Mercedes, just work on them...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cobra2WS6
I would never let my car go 5+k miles in bewteen oil changes. A Full Synthetic and filter is under $30, so why risk it? Dont be cheap, change yur oil every 3k miles or 3 months
If a UOA showed virtually no difference in the oil at 3k and 5k, would you still "not want to risk it"? I'm just curious, because depending on the oil you use, you really risk nothing.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

at my work we cut open all the oil filters we sell and put them on a display and the fram "looked" the worse. the paper filtration looks like cardboard the tops instead of metal were paper it was just horible if you would like shoot me a PM and i'll take a picture

and the k&n and the mobil 1 looked so close to each other it wasn't even funny.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the strict 3K/3month guys, do you think that GM engineers are trying to kill your engines, or that they simply don't know as well as you?

Apparently BMW thought highly enough of the GM Oil Life Monitor to more or less jack it after the PhD who developed it spilled how it worked at a conference because she wants to see it in every car to help reduce world-wide oil consumption (and breaking people of the needless 3K/3month habit is an important step).

Check this thread out - http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...&an=0&page=317
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love know it alls.

Fram filters are horrible, this is a fact.

Their is no need to change the oil every 3000 miles unless you have some major engine issues are drive to the mailbox everyday.

I go 8000 miles with GC and either a Mobil 1 or Delco filter. No problems whatsover. In fact I don't use a drop of oil and I drive the **** out of this car.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

every 3000 miles?? screw that, I change mine at 4500, like its gonna blow my engine up. changin at 3000 miles is a waste.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quickin, i suggest you respectfully back out of this one. 99+% of cars on the road are not stroked. in fact, the engines aren't even modified. these engines go to 100,000+ miles in life, not 30,000. if you want to see high mileage, good oil and good filters along with proper maintenance is crucial.

again, back out of this one. you're coming off as a cocky, uneducated know-it-all that acts like he knows what he's talking about but actually knows nothing. it's to the point where if you were sitting next to me, i'd slap you in the back of the head for good measure. not because i want to hurt you, but because you could use a few seconds of humbling.

oil is not just oil in the same respect that a cam is not just a cam. some oils do some things better than others, just like some cams do things better than others. do you think a 224 cam is just as good as a 242 cam for performance? saying that a 224 is just as good as a 242 is just like saying wal-mart brand conventional is just as good as GC 0W-30.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

recently ac delco filters got cheap. you can tell the newer ones cause they dont have a lebel on them anymore.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Ive used fram oil filters in every vehicle i have ever had and have had NO problems.... you gotta realize ok this might be better than that and blah blah blah... but all parts and stuff like that have to be made to a certant standard... ive never had a single problem... i run mobil 1 and do my oil changes every 2500-3000 miles.... NO matter what i dont care if it can go 5000 or even more... these motors arnt cheap so 15 bucks for a filter and oil is worth it to me...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I used to use Fram on my cars. I then found out that they aren't the greatest. I started using $12 k&ns. They worked good, but then I found that Wix filters are just as good and cost $8. I now use Wix filters.

Quick Reply: Fram oil filters