General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone else have a leaky AC Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have a leaky AC Compressor?

When we had my car up in the air to install new gears into the rear end, we noticed the AC compressor was leaking...must be a new leak because I never noticed the drips on the garage floor before. The car is a 98, I bought it new, and I hardly ever used the AC. If the AC was running more than 10 hours in it's entire life, then that would be a lot. Is it true that not using the AC much causes it to leak?

My biggest concern is if that oil stuff that leaks out of the compressor and dripping onto the plastic boot on that steering thingy does any damage to the plastic boot.

Anyhow, besides replacing the compressor, what are my other options? Despite living in Florida, I really don't need it since my car is mostly driven at night. Should I just let it be and let it leak and just wipe the oil off of that rubber boot once in a while? Or is there a way that I can drain all the stuff out and just leave the compressor in there? I don't want to remove the whole AC system, I just don't want it to leak.

Do they have some magic stuff that you can put into the compressor that will make it stop leaking? If I had to replace the compressor, any ideas how much a new one would be? Can they be rebuilt?

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Every one should run the AC for a few mins every once in a while. It keeps the O rings and seal lubricated. You can take it to any body shop and get it emptied and vacuumed out. That would be a good idea in case you ever want to refill it again. I am sure if you take it some where and tell them you just want it emptied they will be happy to help.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool...I'll do that, sounds like the best solution for me.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 2000 and have noticed oil collecting at the bottom of the compressor as well. It's not a lot, but it is noticeable. I also don't run the AC enough, which is probably contributing to the issue. Is it too late for the seals? Would running the AC regularly now help with the issue? THanks!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skifast87
Every one should run the AC for a few mins every once in a while. It keeps the O rings and seal lubricated. You can take it to any body shop and get it emptied and vacuumed out. That would be a good idea in case you ever want to refill it again. I am sure if you take it some where and tell them you just want it emptied they will be happy to help.

Yes, but this is not the case. Leaking from the compressor is a common issue. Everyone including those who take the uptmost care of their cars has this. It is a product failure not a case of the use neglecting the system.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What color is the liquid coming from the leak A/C tubes?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is green, got several little drops on the garage floor----need to fix that.