General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start after new starter install. Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't start after new starter install. Ignition switch?

Replaced the starter in my 01 T/A on Saturday. Everything was fine until I went to start the car. Nothing happened. I have no guages, no radio, it won't crank, and no power is going to the starter (on the purple wire.) Hot wired the started and it's fine, cranks the motor, but won't start. I have power to headlights, mirror overhead lights, door chime, and brake lights, and hazards. Pretty much everything you don't need the key in the ignition to use. I dropped the column and the actuator is moving when I turn the key, but something tells me the switch is bad. I've tried starting it in park, neutral, and jiggled it while in park. I just want to verify with the experts (you guys) before I go buying parts I don't have money for.

(sucks too, because I had my windows down while doing the starter, and now I can't get the windows up, so I have to strap on a tarp over my car cover.)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not the ignition switch.. If it was that would mean everything would still work like headlights, interior lights and all that kinda stuff.. If it was the switch when you would go to crank it, it would do nothing i mean not click nothing but the lights and accesories would still be working..

My guess its a wire running from the battery to the starter.. Somethings not hooked up right
Old 06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

First why did you change the starter?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit22
I have power to headlights, mirror overhead lights, door chime, and brake lights, and hazards. Pretty much everything you don't need the key in the ignition to use.
I do have power to the headlights. And interior lights. but on most cars you have to turn the key to accesorry to get the radio on, correct? My radio won't come on in accesorry. Like I said, everything that you can do without the key in the ignition, I can still do, but if you need the key in the ignition to do something, I can't do it. (radio, start the car, etc.)

I replaced the starter after one of the interior gears in the starter decided to break and let the starter motor free spin.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Did you check all the fuses?
Did you disconnect the battery before working on the starter?
Did the switch work before the starter replacement?

If the switch went bad while you were replacing the starter that would be unusual.

And, remember you have to pull the steering wheel if you do replace the switch. There is a hold down screw inside.
Be sure to disable the air bag before you start.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay man go out there and turn the key and hold it in start postion... If the radio comes on then ya its your ignition switch if it doesn't then id say some wiring some where has been either burned or a bad ground somewhere..
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warpwr
Did you check all the fuses?
Did you disconnect the battery before working on the starter?
Did the switch work before the starter replacement?

If the switch went bad while you were replacing the starter that would be unusual.

And, remember you have to pull the steering wheel if you do replace the switch. There is a hold down screw inside.
Be sure to disable the air bag before you start.
Thats what I'm wondering myself.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

All the fuses are good.
We didn't disconnect the battery till after we had the starter unbolted, but we left the started wired up, i wanted to see if it was the starter that was bad or the teeth on my flywheel.
The car started fine before the starter died. And even after the starter died, i had good power.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

still nobody?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Teching In

What did you do to fix this? My cars doing the same thing!!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:13 PM

Default Main ground

I had just about the same problem with my wife's 93 Camaro! After two days and a new relay and fuel filter. I took a piece of wire and held it on the ground of the battery and to the bolt where the main ground was installed. My friend then turns the key and she furred right up! I took a self tapping screw and and mead a new ground location! This fixed all the problems electricity that this car had! It might work for you as well. My car sat in my garage for two years before I decided to get it ready for the road again.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Default My truck want start

My 2004 Lincoln aviator want start after the starter been put in correctly...all I get is 1 click noise when I try to start the car it's been like 4 different people trying to get my truck started but nothing! The last guy took the starter to get it check was told the new starter is good and bad starter isn't...we also put jumping cables on my truck but still nothing! I got the brand new starter and battery about a month ago so both parts are new..I need some advice I'm losing hope don't have money to put in shop..
Old 11-04-2019, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Deonna Ferguson
My 2004 Lincoln aviator want start after the starter been put in correctly...all I get is 1 click noise when I try to start the car it's been like 4 different people trying to get my truck started but nothing! The last guy took the starter to get it check was told the new starter is good and bad starter isn't...we also put jumping cables on my truck but still nothing! I got the brand new starter and battery about a month ago so both parts are new..I need some advice I'm losing hope don't have money to put in shop..
See if the lights dim when you try to start and it clicks. I've always used that as an indicator that the solenoid is working and it's most likely the starter. If they do then your starter is either bad or your engine is seized. If they don't dim, then jump the solenoid to the starter (bypassing it) and then if it starts, it's your solenoid.

Good luck.

BTW, it's usually a good idea to start a new thread instead of posting in an existing thread that is several years old.

Quick Reply: Car won't start after new starter install. Ignition switch?